Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Model Transfer

Yo Power BI experts. Question for you. These days allot of users are picking up and creating modelling data in Power BI.
After awhile they create something that they want to repeate with all those key measures, and data points that they have.
So now the organization now knows the PowerBI Model they want to use for business. It's time to transfer and offload that workload to SQL Server.

So for a SQL Server person, we want to go ahead and turn on SSAS.

Which mode is best for our PowerBI people? - Multidimensional, Tabular Mode, PowerPivot mode ?

Are there options to export power BI model convert that into a SSAS cube for them to use since all the data is on the SQL Server?
Or is this a recreate the cube from strach? That would be a bummer!

Personally it would be just nice to start save as to SSAS the Power BI desktop models to the SQL Server and publish to it. Once all the "figuring out" parts have been done done by the Report designers.

In my senerio we use Power BI on premise using the SSRS, but I don't think that matters for this use case.

Look forward to any answer people have!
Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @ninken

Sorry for late response, to convert Power BI models to SSAS, you can check out this blog:

https://www.biinsight.com/import-power-bi-desktop-model-ssas-tabular-2016__trashed/

Best regards

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @Anonymous 

I would suggest you do modeling in SSAS, then you could also use power bi to live connect to it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-ssas-multidimensional

Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which SSAS mode would you recommend that works best for Power BI models?

We will only be using SSAS for Power BI model as our hub Datamodels.

Multidimensional and data mining

Tabular mode

PowerPivot Mode

If you know of any tricks to convert Power BI models to SSAS or tools that would be great too, it would save me allot of time from recreation, since I'm trying to offload Modelling to our Power BI Powerusers. Unfortunately our company will be running Power BI on premises with Report Server.

Hello @ninken

Sorry for late response, to convert Power BI models to SSAS, you can check out this blog:

https://www.biinsight.com/import-power-bi-desktop-model-ssas-tabular-2016__trashed/

Best regards

Lin

DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous, 

As an alternative to SSAS, you can create a master report with the complete data model, publish it to powerbi.com, and use the dataset as a source for other reports. This allows measures to be defined in one place and shared throughout the organization.

DataInsights_0-1600271697946.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.