Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Model - Rearrange Columns in table inside Model

in the Power BI Model, I have several tables loaded. I would want the Primary Key of each table to be the first row, and rearrange some of those rows inside each table, but it seems not possible, because it is arrange by alphabetical order. Is there anyway to disable the alphabetical order and we can manually rearrange? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,  You can try to rename that column from 'PrimaryKey' to '_PrimaryKey'. Insert the rename as a step in Power query transformation or during your load if its coming from a queried source. This will automatically move it to first / beginning of the table. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

that seems to help, thanks.. so there is no way that we can re-arrange according to what we want.

Yes that seems to be the case @Anonymous !
Please remember to mark a solution to your question or give thumbs up if it helped! 
Thanks and take care!

dhruvinushah
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @Anonymous , 

Inside Power Query Editor for your PBI desktop: Right Click on the name of the column you want to re-arrange or move left or right in that table. After right clicking find the 'Move' option and you can choose whether to move it left or right or to the beginning or to the end. 

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that moving column is possible in Power Query Editor, but that changes is not reflected in the Model. I have already put the Primary Key column as the first column, but in the Model, it would not appear as first row.

Hi @Anonymous ,  You can try to rename that column from 'PrimaryKey' to '_PrimaryKey'. Insert the rename as a step in Power query transformation or during your load if its coming from a queried source. This will automatically move it to first / beginning of the table. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.