Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI : Matrix Conditional Formatting for each column

Hi All,

I have a specific requirement where conditional formatting is required to highlight unusual cost/expenditure. I have used a matrix visual in it, and applied conditional formatting to it. But conditional formatting is applied across all the values. Please refer below snapshot of the visual, I have highlighted few cases in Red, which has a difference of 40-45% , but still same color is applied due to lot of other values. 

conditional formatting.PNG 

I need to apply conditional formatting for each column instead of across rows and columns. 

Can someone please help me how to achieve it. @GilbertQ @amitchandak 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @Anonymous 

The key is not in a certain column, each value in the matrix is originally related to the row and column, as long as the logic is correct. You can try to create a measure, then use it in conditional formatting.

Like this:

Measure =
VAR a =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Table' ),
            [account] = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[account] )
                && [month] = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[month] )
        ),
        [cost]
    )
RETURN
    IF ( a < 1000, "Red" )

2.png

1.png

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Has your problem solved? The conditional format can be customized, the key depends on your logic of ‘highlight unusual cost/expenditure’. 

Can you share the logic you want and your desult result like?

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-janeyg-msft  Let me explain my scenario in detail. Below is my sample raw data, which tells me month wise cost of each account.

conditional_formatting_data.PNG

I have chosen matrix visual to represent above data with conditional formatting on cost.

Under 'Column' section of matrix visual, I have put Account column. Under 'Values' section I have put Cost. What problem I am facing is that, if you closely observe above data, Account 1 cost has varried from 100 to 400 which is significant but since rest of the Account costs is always above 1000, all Account 1 values are falling under same color code when put under conditional formatting. 
I have highlighted such actual scenarios in my original post. 

So I was wondering, whether we can have conditional formatting for each column rather than across rows and columns.

Hi, @Anonymous 

The key is not in a certain column, each value in the matrix is originally related to the row and column, as long as the logic is correct. You can try to create a measure, then use it in conditional formatting.

Like this:

Measure =
VAR a =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Table' ),
            [account] = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[account] )
                && [month] = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[month] )
        ),
        [cost]
    )
RETURN
    IF ( a < 1000, "Red" )

2.png

1.png

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Janey,

Thanks for the solution. However, if I want to apply individual formatting to each column separately based on a range. How would I do that?
For Example, I want to highlight each column in a different shade of color based on a condition such as follows: If account1(value) >100 and <500 then Light Red else if account1(value) > 500 and <1000 then Purple else if account1(value) >1000 and <1500 then light green.

Thanks in advance.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Are you column(pivot) ?

You can create a measure like these and use in conditional formatting with "Field Value" option

if(Max(Table[Col]) = "XYZ" , "red", "blue")

or more like example

Color = if(FIRSTNONBLANK('Table'[Year],2014) <=2016 && AVERAGE(Sales[Sales Amount])<170
,"lightgreen",if(FIRSTNONBLANK('Table'[Year],2014)>2018,"red","yellow"))
Color sales = if([Sales Today] -[sales yesterday]>0,"green","red")

color =
switch ( true(),
FIRSTNONBLANK('Table'[commodity],"NA") ="commodity1" && sum('Table'[Value]) >500,"lightgreen",
FIRSTNONBLANK('Table'[commodity],"NA") ="commodity2" && sum('Table'[Value]) >1000,"lightgreen",
// Add more conditions
"red"
)

steps

https://radacad.com/dax-and-conditional-formatting-better-together-find-the-biggest-and-smallest-numbers-in-the-column
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-conditional-table-formatting#color-by-color-values

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.