Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ce13
Frequent Visitor

Power BI - How to use Python script to do a search and replace

Hi, 

I would like to use a Python script to do an automatic Search and Replace just like we can do with Excel.

In the following example, I would like to replace all the X by Y, I used the following script:

# 'dataset' holds the input data for this script

text1 = "X"
text1 = text1.replace('X', 'Y')

I do not get any error message but in the end, it's not working, X are still there.

Does anyone has any idea of what is wrong or is there another script that could do a Search and replace via Python in Power BI?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
befat
Regular Visitor

Hi there, im facing the same issue when i wanna make my automation data cleaning and after attempting so many code i think this one is gonna work on you too... here's the code 

column_name = 'YourColumnName'
replacement_value =
'NewValue'
dataset[column_name].replace({
'OldValue': replacement_value}, inplace=True)

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ce13 ,

Whether your problem has been resolved? If yes, could you please mark the helpful post as Answered? It will help the others in the community find the solution easily if they face the same problem with yours. Thank you.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yiruan-msft 

I am still facing the issue but it looks like your script and mine are correct.

There is something wrong with Power BI but I am not able to figure it out.

Thanks

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ce13 ,

You can try to update the script as follow and check whether it works or not:

text1 = "X"
x = text1.replace("X", "Y")
print(x)

And it is easy to achieve it by using Table.ReplaceValue function in Power Query:

Replace multiple values in Power Query in one step

yingyinr_0-1620110669102.png

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yiruan-msft  and thank you for your reply!

I tried to use your script but unfortunately, it's not working for me. I have the same behavior as with the script I used previously.

And thanks for the Power Query process.

My goal with using python is to automate my data cleaning. This is for a report that I run every week and I am basically renaming a bunch of projects. I'd like to automate this part and just run a script to save some time.

Hi @Ce13 ,

Please update the script as below:

# 'dataset' holds the input data for this script
import pandas as pd
dataset['Text'] =pd.DataFrame(dataset['Text'].str.replace('X', 'Y', regex=False))

The original data in my table as shown in below screenshot:

yingyinr_0-1620296694921.png

After applied the above script can become the below result:

yingyinr_1-1620296745626.png

Best Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why on Earth would you want to use Python to do something that's so easy to do in Power Query with the standard tools?

Hi @Anonymous 

My goal with using python is to automate my data cleaning. This is for a report that I run every week and I am basically renaming a bunch of projects. I'd like to automate this part and just run a script to save some time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.