Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BSLATTER
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI Goals - No data in dataset

I am attempting to POC the new Power BI goals feature. I've set up a new scorecard, added some measures (some manual, some automated) and am now trying to connect to the backend dataste in the Power BI service in a Power BI report. Some have targets, some do not.

Unfortunately when I connect tot he Power BI dataset for my scorecard - there doesn't appear to be any data in it. I've tried refreshing the dataset multiple times and have added a lot of dates worth of data.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @BSLATTER ,

We had a limtiation when we first released that the dataset was not available. Unfortunately we could not fix this for existing scorecards. Could you please try creating a new scorecard, adding a new goal and taking a look if the issue is resolved? If it still isn't working I'll get our engineers to take a look. Sorry about the inconvenience!

Justyna

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

If anyone still struggling with this:
Make sure that the dataset has been refreshed at least once. Before that, no data will be visible like described in these posts.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi @BSLATTER ,

We had a limtiation when we first released that the dataset was not available. Unfortunately we could not fix this for existing scorecards. Could you please try creating a new scorecard, adding a new goal and taking a look if the issue is resolved? If it still isn't working I'll get our engineers to take a look. Sorry about the inconvenience!

Justyna

Thank you Justyna! That worked. Appreciate the quick resolution

BSLATTER
Helper III
Helper III

Hi Liang,

I am the admin of the workspace. It is backed by Premium capacity

This does not happen to other datasets - only exclusively datasets built automatically from "Power BI Goals (Preview)" after creating a scorecard. Even after multiple goals are added and the dataset is refreshed - no data is shown when connecting via Live Connect

V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BSLATTER ,

Here's the limitations-and-considerations for live connection to Power BI dataset.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets#limitations...

Limitations and considerations

When using the Power BI service live connection, there are a few limitations and considerations to keep in mind.

• Only users with Build permission for a dataset can connect to a published dataset using the Power BI service live connection.

• Free users only see datasets in their My Workspace and in Premium-based workspaces.

• Since this connection is a live connection, left-navigation and modeling are disabled. You can only connect to one dataset in each report. This behavior is similar to the behavior when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.

• Since this connection is a live connection, row-level security (RLS) and other such connection behaviors are enforced. This is the same as when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.

• If the owner modifies the original shared .pbix file, the dataset and report that is shared in the Power BI service is overwritten. Reports based on that dataset aren't overwritten, but any changes to the dataset are reflected in the report.

• Members of a workspace can't replace the originally shared report. Attempts to do so result in a warning that prompts you to rename the file, and publish.

• If you delete the shared dataset in the Power BI service, then other reports based on that dataset will no longer work properly or display their visuals.

• For Content Packs, you must first create a copy of a content pack before using it as a basis for sharing a .pbix report and dataset to the Power BI service.

• For Content Packs from My Organization, once copied, you can't replace the report created on the service or a report created as part of copying a Content Pack with a live connection. Attempts to do so result in a warning that prompts you to rename the file, and publish. In this situation, you can only replace published live connected reports.

• Deleting a shared dataset in the Power BI service means no one can access that dataset any longer from Power BI Desktop.

• Reports that share a dataset on the Power BI service don't support automated deployments using the Power BI REST API.

I did some test but didn't find any problem. By the way, What is your role in the workspace? If you are a viewer, do you have build permission on the dataset?

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.