Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mfhussain
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Get Data from SAP BW Query - DataSource.Error: SAP Business warehouse: RfcInvoke failed...

I am on the latest update (Dec 2017) of PBI Desktop.

Trying to get data fro  SAP BW query. The request times out. Our Basis Team have increased the timeout in SAP BW Server side bur no effect.

I still get the follwong error:

DataSource.Error: SAP Business warehouse: RfcInvoke failed (RFC_ABAP_RUNTIME_FAILURE): TIME_OUT

This only works for small data sets of around 5k.

This type of error has been occuring quite often as per the posts/comments I have read.

Is their and y solution to this please.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

i still have this case too, any solution or update about this case ?

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@mfhussain,

Do you get errors if you use DirectQuery mode to connect to the SAP data source?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

I can connect using Direct Query mode. It brings in the table/fileds in PBI desktop, but when retrieving data I get the same error of RFC tiemout.

Thanks

mf

@mfhussain,

I would recommend you open a support ticket on the support.powerbi.com site.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@mfhussain,

Have you entered appropriate value in the following timeout textbox?
1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Thanks for the response. But I don't get the option of 'timeout' in Advanced Options. It only gives 'Language Code' and 'MDX' options. Cannot paste a pic.

Thanks

@mfhussain

Directly add Timeout value in Advanced Editor of your query and check if you get errors.

[Timeout=#duration(0,0,30,0)]
1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for the prompt response. I added timeout value in Advanced Editor. I get a different error:

DataSource.Error: SAP Business Warehouse: This function doesn't support the query option 'Timeout' with value '#duration(0, 0, 30, 0)'.
Details:
0.00:30:00

Thanks

@mfhussain,

Do you check if there is syntax error? I can add the Timeout value successfully.

Regards,
Lydia

Though I am not getting any syntax error but getting the other error of timeout proerty not found.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.