Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Aluminum

Power BI Gateway Data on Report and/or Dashboard

I am very new at Power BI.  I have setup a Power BI gateway that is connected to an Azure SQL Server.  The connection works fine in my gateway.  I cannot find where I connect a report data source to Power BI gateway.  I only see Get Data options like Get Data -> SQL Server.  I cannot figure out how to user my Power BI gateway as a data source.  I also searched for creating a new data set based on a Power BI Gateway.  

I want to give the end user the ability to view data in a table on an Azure database.  The Power BI gateway connection works great.  It is not intuitive to me in the Power BI desktop how to consume this Power BI gateway data connection.  

3 REPLIES 3

I have successfully configured my Power BI gateway to work with my Azure server.  How do I now add the table in Azure to my report from the Power BI gateway connection?  I only see a way to directly get data from the Azure server from the Get Data option. I do not see a way to take advantage of the Gateway connection.  The articles shared so far do not provide any information on how to do that.

Hi @Aluminum ,

The data gateway acts as a bridge to provide quick and secure data transfer between on-premises data (data that isn't in the cloud) and several Microsoft cloud services. The gateway is consume in Power BI Service instead of Power BI Desktop.

That is to say that only when you publish your pbix file from Power BI Desktop to Power BI Service,  the users need to view or edit report in Power BI Service, and your dataset contains on premise data source or combines on-premises and cloud data sources at the same time, then the gateway is needed to install for getting further latest data.  See more: On-premises data gateway .

In your scenario, if your dataset has only the cloud data source Azure SQL Server ,  gateway is not needed. While if your dataset combines on-premises and cloud data sources at the same time, the gateway is needed, and you might add the connection credential of Azure SQL Server to "Date source settings " in Manage gateway in Power BI Service, note that you also need select Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster option Under Gateway Cluster Settings. See: Merge or append on-premises and cloud data sources.

Then you may use manual refresh or schedule refresh to get updated data, see more: Configure scheduled refresh .

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.