Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI - Execution file will not run installation setup

I am experiencing a bit of an issue with Power BI desktop installation and I hope you can help somehow.

When I try to execute or run the Power BI setup file (.exe) the installer does not start-up. This started last week after I uninstalled the Power BI client (August version) and tried to install an older version (July version) - for the purposes of a testing exercise with a 3rd Party tool.

I have tried a number of troubleshooting exercises and even went as far as resetting my PC but still the setup file will not run (and only the Power BI setup because I have been able to install other software).

I could however install the Power BI App from the Microsoft Store.

I am on Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.17763 Build 17763.

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

How did you uninstall power bi desktop? Uninstall from system uninstall panel, third party tool or direct delete 'install folder'?

According to your description, it sounds like some cache file/registry key not uninstalled correctly. When you try to install old version, it will been canceled due to high version existed.
For store version, it install to other place with different register keys.(store version not same as official download version) 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Xiaoxin Sheng,

Firstly, thank you for your reply.

To answer you, I uninstalled Power BI via the Control Panel. I tried to install Power BI and it failed and I tried the following actions to try and remedy that - these actions were conducted separately but in sequence:

1. I tried to remove all software remnants or leftovers
    •  Searched for and deleted remaining filed and folders of the program in the C-drive (in Program Files, Program Files (x86) and App Data).
    •  Removed software keys from Windows Registry - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE, HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node
    • Emptied Temp Folder
  2.  When that did not seem to work, I tried system recovery via system restore point. I did that and restored the system to a point before I unistalled Power BI (latest version), downloaded the older version and executed the file, which prompted me to select a "remove" or "repair" option (for the existing software), I selected remove. The setup then subsequently removed the software but did not install the older version. So, I then tried running the .exe file but now it refused to execute. 
  3.  So, since that didn't not work, I tried the system restore option again and tried a 3rd Party tool to uninstall Power BI, I downloaded and installed the tool and used it to unistall Power BI. I subsequenty tried to install Power BI again, both 64-bit and 32-bit version - latest and older version, still nothing.
  4.  I then as a last option decided to reset my PC - deleting all personal files, app and settings - started with a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro. I downloaded Power BI again, 64-bit and 32-bit version - latest (Aug) and older (Jul) version, still nothing.

So, I literally explored all options I could think of and I was presented with (or advised to follow) and nothing seems work. 

Which is baffling because I did not have this challenge about 2 weeks before.

I hope this helps to explain further.

Kind Regards,

Babalo

HI @Anonymous ,

I can't ensure if any environment softwares or power bi files broken due to uninstall, I'd like to suggest you open a support ticket to get further support from power bi team.(it is free for pro and above license)

submit a support ticketsubmit a support ticket

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.