Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

priyankas

Power BI: Execution Timeout Expired

Hi,

I am trying to call Stored Procedure from Power BI using Import query option. but it gives timeout error and fails to load data. Interesting thing is that when I excute same SP with same input date parameters in database itself, it returns more than 8000 rows in less than 7 seconds.

I am wondering what could be the reason that Power BI gives timeout error.

PS: I tried this with latest Jan 2018 power BI version as well, but with no success !

Could you please help.

Many Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @priyankas,

As you said you still can do Refresh but failed sometime. I think it could be the performance issue related to many sides. Power BI doesn't work alone. When we push Refresh, Power BI will send a request to the SQL Server 2008. But the SQL Server 2008 could say I'm busy. Some time later, Power BI could return failure message with time out. 

So I think it's hard to solve this issue from Power BI side. One more thing about Refresh, Power BI sends request and gets data, the big part of the job is done in the data source. 

Do you have a SQL Server Profiler? If so, you can check if the SP is executed successfully.

Power_BI_Execution_Timeout_Expired2

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @priyankas,

A SP running 7 seconds won't be a problem. One SP runs 54 seconds in my test. Please check these things below.

1. What's the Database? It's SQL Server in my test.

2. Do you have enough privilege to execute a SP?

3. Can you connect to the DB with SQL Server Management Studio?

Power_BI_Execution_Timeout_Expired

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dale,

Thank you for your reply. Here are the answers to questions you asked:

1. DB is SQL Server 2008

2. I have all the privilege to execute SP.

3. I can run SP from database directly.

Looks like it depends upon time of day when I chose to refresh PowerBI data. Today morning, during off peak time, it finished refresh quickly.

but I am still wondering, if, even during peak time when SP finishes in 7seconds, Power BI should also be able to refresh data..isn't it! ?

Hi @priyankas,

As you said you still can do Refresh but failed sometime. I think it could be the performance issue related to many sides. Power BI doesn't work alone. When we push Refresh, Power BI will send a request to the SQL Server 2008. But the SQL Server 2008 could say I'm busy. Some time later, Power BI could return failure message with time out. 

So I think it's hard to solve this issue from Power BI side. One more thing about Refresh, Power BI sends request and gets data, the big part of the job is done in the data source. 

Do you have a SQL Server Profiler? If so, you can check if the SP is executed successfully.

Power_BI_Execution_Timeout_Expired2

Best Regards,

Dale

Hi Dale, @v-jiascu-msft

Yes I have SQL profiler. I will check from that next time I do refresh and it doesn't respond.

Many Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Priyanka

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.