Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

imaahm
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Enterprise Gateway, should it recognize Server and Database name within Parameters?

Hello everyone - 

When I publish my Power Bi solution it will uses my server and database name to match the data-source in enterprise gateway for connection.  If it finds the match then will connect to my data-source under the current gateway.  If I create a Power Bi solution with two Parameters (one used for Server and other for Database name) then it looks like it can’t find the data-source under gateway.  Is this correct and how can I get around it?  

Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@imaahm "If I create a Power Bi solution with two Parameters (one used for Server and other for Database name) then it looks like it can’t find the data-source under gateway.  Is this correct and how can I get around it?" 

Do you mean after you've selected the Server and Database in the PBIX and tried to publish?

Or are you trying to Publish without selecting the parameters? (Because this isn't currently supported in the Power BI Service yet)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

Thank you @Seth_C_Bauer ,  after I selected the Server and Database in the PBIX

• Manage Parameters > prmServerName > CurrentValue > MyServerName  
  • Manage Parameters > prmDatabaseName > CurrentValue > MyDBName

and then I publish.  

Update:

I recreated my solution and this time it did work.  Thanks for your response.

Thank you again

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@imaahm "If I create a Power Bi solution with two Parameters (one used for Server and other for Database name) then it looks like it can’t find the data-source under gateway.  Is this correct and how can I get around it?" 

Do you mean after you've selected the Server and Database in the PBIX and tried to publish?

Or are you trying to Publish without selecting the parameters? (Because this isn't currently supported in the Power BI Service yet)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thank you @Seth_C_Bauer ,  after I selected the Server and Database in the PBIX

• Manage Parameters > prmServerName > CurrentValue > MyServerName  
  • Manage Parameters > prmDatabaseName > CurrentValue > MyDBName

and then I publish.  

Update:

I recreated my solution and this time it did work.  Thanks for your response.

Thank you again

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.