Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI ElasticSearch multivalued field not showing up

Hi Everyone!

I connected my Elasticsearch database to Power BI desktop using ODBC. Everything works fine until it is noticed that Power BI is not supporting multivalued fields from the elasticsearch db.

As an example, say field_name is the name of a field in a datarecord in an Elasticsearch DB. Within the DB, it is storing list of values like:

{"_source":{

"dataKey": "Sample record 1"

"data":{

"record_name" : "Sample record 1",

"list_of_members": ["A",''B","C","D"] 

}

}

}

However, it is showing up in the table view of PowerBI Desktop as:

dataKey     data.record_name.          data.list_of_members
"Sample record 1"    "Sample record 1"          "A"

As evident from the above example, for the field list_of_members, Power BI is not able to identify that it is multivalued and hence only showing up one member from the list of values in the data.list_of_members column.

Any ideas how to fix this?

2 REPLIES 2
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please check the setps before. Does ‘data.list_of_members’ have a list format?

There's a video shows you how to access the multi-value column data: How to work with SharePoint Multi-value Columns in Power BI - Marquee Insights

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-stephen-msft ! Thanks for replying. However, the solution is not working for me. The blog post that you shared talks about multivalued columns in Sharepoint with Power-BI. However, my issue is with using Elasticsearch DB as the data source for my Power-BI dashboard. Elasticsearch is NoSQL database and hence handling issues with PowerBI will be different from the normal solutions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.