Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SteBr
Regular Visitor

Power BI - Dynamic M Query Parameter binding not shown

I have the same problem as described in here, the only difference is, that the proposed solution (restart Power BI ) does not work. 

I've copy&pasted everything (query and structures) from the example in the blog entry. 

- Version is: 2.86.902.0 32-bit (Oktober 2020)

- Feature "Dynamic M Query parameters" is activated in "preview features"

- Parameters are created (date/time) 

- Parameters are used in the query - query itself works perfectly

- Tables are created according to the blog post

- Slicers / Filters are created

--> still the dropdown "Bind to Parameter" is not shown in "Field" - "Properties" - "Advanced" section, the shown fields are only "sort by column", "data category" and "summarize"

preview featurespreview featuresfield  properties - advancedfield properties - advancedm querym query

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SteBr
Regular Visitor

I've found the root cause by myself: the query type was not (automagically) set to "direct query".

After setting up everything manually I could finally see the parameter binding option. 

@DaveHowe maybe this could help you as well?

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HenadziGo
Frequent Visitor
DHaagenson
Regular Visitor

This is Deborah from yesterday. I found someone that has the options I'm looking for. He said I should have the Pro app and need the Premium license and then he uses Workspaces. I don't understand how his development is different. Would it be? Isn't Workspaces just storing the reports in a different location than Report Server, which is what we use. He thinks that maybe our Workspaces are old and not Premium? My personal Workspace is premium (has diamonds next to file names).  How do I open one of these in desktop and get difference options? We have been doing everything the same for almost 2 years, so I'm not sure how Workspaces comes into play and why it might cause us not to have the Query M Dynamic Parameters options he has. If you can provide me with info to clear this us or help me understand I would appreciate it.

SteBr
Regular Visitor

I've found the root cause by myself: the query type was not (automagically) set to "direct query".

After setting up everything manually I could finally see the parameter binding option. 

@DaveHowe maybe this could help you as well?

Anonymous
Not applicable

"I've found the root cause by myself: the query type was not (automagically) set to "direct query" - yes. this is true. I've discovered it too. Bind to parameter opion will NOT be available due to the presence of any non-Direct-Query Query. After I removed the "Calendar = Calendar(date(2021, 1, 1),TODAY())", the Bind to parameter option appeared under advanced. Of course, "File - Options and Settings - Options - Global - Preview Features - Dynamic M Query parameters" must be enabled as well.

I found that after I've removed the table (Calendar = Calendar(date(2021, 1, 1),TODAY())), the Bind to parameter option appeared under advanced. Thereafter, I can put back the calendar table with the Bind to parameter option remaining visible

micgiggs_0-1657607484875.png

kjerez
Frequent Visitor

Hi! can expand on this, I did not understand the part of setting manually. Thanks

Thanks, but I don't think I understand what you mean.  What did you set up manually?

Thanks,

Dave

Did found an answer for this?

@kjerez @DaveHowe The data source in my testing environment doesn't support directQuery, that was the root cause. You can find a list of supported data sources here: https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/power-bi/connect-data/power-bi-data-sources

I'm using text/csv at the moment so I can't make use of dynamic m query parameters at the moment. 

With setting up manually I was referring to the step-by-step example shown in the blog post . When I tried this (including the GitHub demo data source everything was working as expected. 

DaveHowe
Regular Visitor

I am experiencing the same problem.  I have the preview feature enabled, date type parameter created and referenced in M Query, date table created, but the "Bind to Parameter" is not available.

v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SteBr ,

What data source are you connecting?

Please check the Considerations and limitations.

Please check the steps in this document.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-dynamic-m-query-parameters

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have stepped through the document via the link in this post. I am not able to see the Binding Parameters selection as many are not. First, it's my understanding that I need to use Direct Query mode for all of my data. When I create a table for the parameter list using a table to enter the data instead of creating a filter from a SQL table, it want's to switch me over to Import Mode and that doesn't work. Your demo/example and many others create tables. How are they getting around the Import Data issue? Now, with that said. I don't have preview features to set the M Query Dynamic Parameters new feature. It's 10/2022 and we have a May 2022 64-bit edition, but we are running from a report server, not the cloud. Should that be an issue and the reason I still don't see the Binding Parameters option? My data types are all the same, so that isn't an issue for me. We really want to be able to use this feature, but I just can't figure out what we need to do to get it to work?

Can you provide screenshots of the parameters created, the transformation page, etc. anything? 

Its a fairly new feature, so bugs are unfortunately expected. For example, the recipe for binding parameters are exact...but sometimes i have to delete it and re-create it and voila - it works again. 

I have two Query sources, both are using the same SQL table. One is our query used for the report and the for the other, only one column was kept the others deleted for the filter data.

Below - Bolded in the Advanced Editor script is the Parameter that is used to populate the Data.

DHaagenson_0-1665081254991.png

Then, the parameter

DHaagenson_1-1665081454637.png

The column of data used for the parameter 

DHaagenson_2-1665081727517.png

Where we should see the Binding Parameters selection, but don't

DHaagenson_3-1665081911774.png

No Preview Features menu to select the M Query Dynamic Parameters option

DHaagenson_4-1665082018910.png

Please let me know if you need any more information. Thank you for responding!!

Why do they release 'features' that are so lame? There's hours of my life I will never get back. Yes, I should have intuited by now that anything PowerBI related would not be fit for purpose, and read the 'considerations' first. I know now to always read the fine print and expect NOTHING. Yes, I am a disgruntled  ex-VBA/Excel user.

ckeo
Frequent Visitor

because its Microsoft

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!
I would like to ask which could be a workaround for this issue?

tks

are you 100 percent sure that you have the latest version of Power BI?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.