Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Direct query connection to IBM DB2

Hi,

I am trying to connect Power BI with IBM DB2 for Direct Query. The required driver has been installed but it still cannot connect to IBM DB2 server. When I tried to connect with Microsoft .Net Framework, it couldn't connect as well. I checked in the command prompt, and it shows .net framework 4.8 is being installed wherein, 4.5 or higher verison is required. Can anyone please help me on this?

DirectQuery_PowerBI.jpgPowerBI_DirectQuery_IBM.pngConnect_DB2_PowerBI.png

Thanks & Regards

Somnath

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please change the options of Advanced settings and try again.

db2.PNG

Capture.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

It's look like different details in Service and Desktop.

Note:- Use same details in all layers (Power BI Desktop, Service, Gateway).

Please try to re-pro the issue with the correct details and let us know if you have any concerns.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for their help. I got so many inputs from you guys. Actually, the problem is with the port number. You can connect with the default port number 446. Make sure you use Microsoft Driver with 4.5 version or higher(I checked mine through CMD; and it is 4.8). The IBM driver will not work(For me, anyways it didn't work) as it will show a licensing problem. Mix storage mode(i.e both Import and DirectQuery) will work fine. Most importantly, update Power BI desktop. I don't know, but I updated and it worked.Take a look at the screenshots below:- PowerBI_blog1.pngPowerBI_blog2.PNG 

Thanks and Regards

Somnath Bhattacharya

8 REPLIES 8
venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

It's look like different details in Service and Desktop.

Note:- Use same details in all layers (Power BI Desktop, Service, Gateway).

Please try to re-pro the issue with the correct details and let us know if you have any concerns.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for their help. I got so many inputs from you guys. Actually, the problem is with the port number. You can connect with the default port number 446. Make sure you use Microsoft Driver with 4.5 version or higher(I checked mine through CMD; and it is 4.8). The IBM driver will not work(For me, anyways it didn't work) as it will show a licensing problem. Mix storage mode(i.e both Import and DirectQuery) will work fine. Most importantly, update Power BI desktop. I don't know, but I updated and it worked.Take a look at the screenshots below:- PowerBI_blog1.pngPowerBI_blog2.PNG 

Thanks and Regards

Somnath Bhattacharya

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  Can you please help me to get the connection working for DB2 from Power BI. I have the hostname, password, port number etc. I could see we need to use 446 always. What other details I should request from DB2 team? Please can you connect to me offline at triparnaray@gmail.com as I would need urgent help on this for a client POC to be done soon. Appreciate your help. @v-frfei-msft Please can you provide your inputs as well. I am getting the error - "Microsoft Db2 Client: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please change the options of Advanced settings and try again.

db2.PNG

Capture.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-frfei-msft ,

Hi,

Thank you so much. Will try and let you know.

Thanks & Regards

Somnath Bhattacharya

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-frfei-msft ,

Can you help me with the Get data IBM DB2 connection as well? I mean get data-> IBM DB2 Database-> Direct Query option. This is not connecting as well. 

Or, the connection setting to DB2 only works through Gateway.

Thanking You,

Thanks & Regards

Somnath Bhattacharya

Hi @Anonymous ,

What is your version of Power BI desktop? Currecntly I'm using 2.76.5678.461 64-bit (December 2019). That works weill in my side. Could you please update it to the lastest one and check again?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's the same for Get Data as well as Power BI Gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.