Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Desktop via Citrix?

Is it possible to provide the Power BI Desktop app via Citrix?

Has anyone suceeded or failed trying this, a throrough search of the internet isn't returning any results on the subject.

Thanks,

Barney

4 REPLIES 4
jspotts37215
Frequent Visitor

If you are asking if Power BI Desktop works OK when accessed via remote desktop then I can report some success. My native development environment is a Mac. I use the Parallels 2X RDP client to remote into a target machine (Windows Server 2012 R2 in my case) where I've installed Power BI Desktop and Gateway. Other than the usual quirks of having to think about copy/paste shortcuts when working across environments, this arrangement has worked very well for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's good to know that it can work via remote desktop but that doesn't quite fix our issue, here's a little more detail.

We want to do a large rollout of Power BI desktop (potentially several thousand machines) but unfortunately one of our key record systems doesn't support versions of IE greater than 9 at present. We have approval for the install of the Power BI desktop software but not of the upgrade of IE meaning we're a bit stuck.

One suggested solution was to run Power BI though Citrix as we already use Citrix to provide Excel and Word amongst other things to some staff. So far I can't see any reference anywhere to someone having done this, the closest I've found is that some people have PowerPivot and Power View working in Excel 2013 via Citrix.

Thanks,

Barney

HI Barney - our company uses Citrix and a Power BI app. Unforntunately, it is buggy.
Consistently speaking to service desk about issues - it either crashes, freezes or running out of memory. We use large datasets with over 20m rows of data and it struggles. There is a definately a drop in performmance between using the native Desktop Power BI app and the Citrix Power BI app. Am speaking to our IT team for a resolution, but no luck.

Hi,

We're currently looking into using the On-Premise Power BI solution with IE11. The users access the Power BI Desktop Application through Citrix. We are currently able to access the application through Citrix by using  a command prompt (which uses pnagent.exe)  but would like to specify which '.pbix' opens up when the application launches.

Do you know hwo this might be achievable?

For example we plan the create a link similiar to the  'Edit in Power BI'  button on  Power BI ReportServer. Instead of launching a locally installed Power BI Desktop with the specified file, we'd like the Citrix installed Power BI Desktop to open up with the specified file.

Any help would be great

James

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.