Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

qmestu
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI Desktop using a LOT of RAM

Hi,

I've been struggling the past few days with loading data into my dashboard that mostly consists of JSON coming from web apis. I have a few helper excel files but these have always worked. I cannot refresh the data and if i try to load it, an hour or so later i get an error of out of memory, which the task manager also reports, with power bi using 95% of my ram (i have a total of 24 GB).

I've tried clearing the credentials but it didn't fix the problem. I've also disabled parallel loading and automatic relationships.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
qmestu
Helper III
Helper III

I'm replying to my own post in case someone has the same problem. One of my helper excel files misteriously generated about 900 columns filled with the null value. After going through each query, finding and cleaning this excel file, although still a bit slow, all the data is now loaded.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
qmestu
Helper III
Helper III

I'm replying to my own post in case someone has the same problem. One of my helper excel files misteriously generated about 900 columns filled with the null value. After going through each query, finding and cleaning this excel file, although still a bit slow, all the data is now loaded.

Mikelytics
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Yes, sometimes this step takes a long while. As long as it runs you have to wait. I sometimes experienced that this step took a long while in the first load and when it was successfully loaded it ran fast. BUt if you then again change the ETL rules in POwer Query you have again wait for a longer time.

Are you doing transformation on the data? If yes, how much? 

Best regards

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Appreciate your thumbs up!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread.

LinkedIn

------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit my blog datenhungrig which I recently started with content about business intelligence and Power BI in German and English or follow me on LinkedIn!

Changing the format of one column, deleting some columns that are not required, and combining several tables into one.

Mikelytics
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

HI @qmestu 

Can you please go in the global options and 

1) clear current cache

2) increase cache available

Mikelytics_0-1669650550070.png

Maybe it helps optimizing your memory

Best regards

Michael

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Appreciate your thumbs up!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread.

LinkedIn

------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit my blog datenhungrig which I recently started with content about business intelligence and Power BI in German and English or follow me on LinkedIn!

Same thing. Eventually the power bi app just stops responding, i can't even cancel. It's just stuck on "creating connection in model".

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.