Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

karlk
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI Desktop slow to sign in causing issues opening PBIX files that connect to Power BI datasets

Hi,

When I open Power BI Desktop I've noticed that it often takes a few seconds to sign me in.  When I look in the top right of the window I see Sign in ...

karlk_2-1615812086155.png

.. then a few seconds later it changes and I'm signed in

karlk_3-1615812161117.png

Once I can see I'm signed in I can File -> Open any PBIX file that connects to Power BI dataset in the service without issue.

However, when I double click on a PBIX file that connects to a Power BI dataset in the service this lag is causing the following issues.

1. I'm prompted to sign-in

karlk_4-1615812565541.png

2. This has a knock on effect when the dataset itself live connects to an Azure Analysis Services model.  If I cancel out of this dialog and File -> Open the same PBIX file it opens without issue and I'm not prompted to signin as a different user (presumably because Power BI desktop has finished signing me in after it opened)

karlk_5-1615812655961.png

Is the Sign-in Lag a known issue?   Is anyone else having it?  I don't recall having this issue a few months ago.  I tested this with 2 separate Power BI accounts and have the same issue.  

Thanks

Karl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
karlk
Advocate I
Advocate I

This was fixed in the May 2021 release of Power BI Desktop

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
karlk
Advocate I
Advocate I

This was fixed in the May 2021 release of Power BI Desktop

karlk
Advocate I
Advocate I

I get this issue using the latest version of Power BI desktop.  I'll do some more investigation to see if this a genuine problem or whether there's some configuration I'm missing somewhere.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @karlk 

You can try to update your Desktop to latest version and many problems can be solved by updating.

Best Regards

Caiyun Zheng

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

karlk
Advocate I
Advocate I

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.