Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RafalK
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Power BI Desktop slow performance when too many elements are added

Hi everyone,

I would like to get some answers on why does Power BI Desktop get so slow and unresponsive once too many visuals are added.

I can see that this behaviour is independent of DAX calculations and amount of data - it is all about the number of elements in a page. Once you add more then 15, 20 things become unresponsive and you have to wait several seconds just to click on anything. 

And don't even think of selecting multiple items together..

Same thing happens when I resize Power BI Desktop app window.

This issue only appears in Power BI Desktop - once the report is published and opened in a web page it all works fine.

Perhaps this has something to do with Power Bi checking interactions between elements every time I click on them or some other process but why is this happening?  

Another funny thing is that once I open my report from a page with multiple visuals, everything lags even when I go to a tab with a small number of visuals. If I however save the report on a page with a small number of visuals and close and repen it, all works fine. Does Power BI cash the visuals from the first page?

In any case this is very anoyning and limits the speed and scope of the development. I was hoping that grouping items together will help but it makes little to no difference.

Rafał Kun
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm experiencing similar Power BI Desktop performance issues with a report with many non-data elements (buttons, shapes, images, etc.). @RafalK, did you discover any ways to improve performance in these cases?

Thanks for all the links however none of those were able to answer my question.

My problem is the number of elements an Power BI tab. Whenever I exceed a certain number thinks like resizing the Power BI Desktop windows take over 5-10 seconds and everything is working super slow.

Just to be clear - I have deleted all elements with data - graphs, tables.. all visuals.

All I have left are shapes, texts and images. All info I could find in the links is to limit the number of visuals on a page. 

This I can understand as it would generate queries that make me wait for the data. But why do things like shapes and text slow down Power BI Desktop? 

Those thinks are crutial for my UX design as I like to design my reports similar to modern websites. Those elements should cost nothing to rander.  I just don't understand what Power BI is spending all that time on

Rafał Kun

Thanks. I will go through those and check the solution.

Rafał Kun

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.