Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Power BI Desktop not opening

Hi, 

I Have a new laptop and i download and installed the latest version of PBI for desktop but i can't open it. tried few time to re-install but still same error as below, any idea how to solve it? 

thanks. 

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
We weren't able to connect to the model.

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<Main>b__1()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
We weren't able to connect to the model.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Power BI Desktop not opening

Hi @odedtole ,

Try to downgrade your desktop version to the one released in Feb.

Here is the link.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Have the same issue 😞

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2020-04-03T14:58:14.6556526Z

Local Time:
2020-04-03T17:58:14.6556526+03:00

Session ID:
493e7a35-0af0-466b-aa78-a71bcb6fb723

Release:
March 2020

Product Version:
2.79.5768.1082 (20.03) (x64)

Stack Trace:
в Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title)
в Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType)
в Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<Main>b__1()
в Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
в Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.18363.0 (x64 ru-RU)

Can't resolve it during few days

Highlighted

Re: Power BI Desktop no opens

Hello!

I have the same problem, on a pc where it came normal functioning, but I opened a new session on the pc, and I work perfectly.

As I do to make it work on the windows user where it is presenting the startup problem.

Thank you!

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Re: Power BI Desktop no opens

You are right. I found it too (with another user it works). Power BI reinstallation, another version, PC clean-up, reboot, temporary files cleaning - nothing helps.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @odedtole ,

Try to downgrade your desktop version to the one released in Feb.

Here is the link.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@v-kelly-msft Downgrade can't be solution. I tried to downgrade from March version to January without success. And one more time: April version is working under any other user on the same PC.

I assume in my case Power BI stores some path to not accessible external resource and can't reach it. It happens even if I start only application without any workspace.

I tried to find where Power BI stores some cache and tried to clean everything, but it didn't help... Maybe it keeps it in the registry.

Also I tried to analise application dump, but it didn't help as well.

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Try to remove completely and re-install the Feb version. it worked for me

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Feb version helped. Thank you!

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

CRe: Power BI Desktop not opening

Hi @v-kelly-msft This is 64 bits, please can you provide link for 32 bits? Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Events

Wondering what events you could join or have an event to promote yourself? Check out our Upcoming Events.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors