Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

odedtole
Employee
Employee

Power BI Desktop not opening

Hi, 

I Have a new laptop and i download and installed the latest version of PBI for desktop but i can't open it. tried few time to re-install but still same error as below, any idea how to solve it? 

thanks. 

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
We weren't able to connect to the model.

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<Main>b__1()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
We weren't able to connect to the model.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @odedtole ,

Try to downgrade your desktop version to the one released in Feb.

Here is the link.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @odedtole ,

Try to downgrade your desktop version to the one released in Feb.

Here is the link.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hi @v-kelly-msft This is 64 bits, please can you provide link for 32 bits? Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-kelly-msft Downgrade can't be solution. I tried to downgrade from March version to January without success. And one more time: April version is working under any other user on the same PC.

I assume in my case Power BI stores some path to not accessible external resource and can't reach it. It happens even if I start only application without any workspace.

I tried to find where Power BI stores some cache and tried to clean everything, but it didn't help... Maybe it keeps it in the registry.

Also I tried to analise application dump, but it didn't help as well.

Try to remove completely and re-install the Feb version. it worked for me

Anonymous
Not applicable

Feb version helped. Thank you!

icarvajal83

Hello!

I have the same problem, on a pc where it came normal functioning, but I opened a new session on the pc, and I work perfectly.

As I do to make it work on the windows user where it is presenting the startup problem.

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are right. I found it too (with another user it works). Power BI reinstallation, another version, PC clean-up, reboot, temporary files cleaning - nothing helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have the same issue 😞

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2020-04-03T14:58:14.6556526Z

Local Time:
2020-04-03T17:58:14.6556526+03:00

Session ID:
493e7a35-0af0-466b-aa78-a71bcb6fb723

Release:
March 2020

Product Version:
2.79.5768.1082 (20.03) (x64)

Stack Trace:
в Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title)
в Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType)
в Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<Main>b__1()
в Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
в Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.18363.0 (x64 ru-RU)

Can't resolve it during few days

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.