Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

odedtole
Employee
Employee

Power BI Desktop not opening

Hi, 

I Have a new laptop and i download and installed the latest version of PBI for desktop but i can't open it. tried few time to re-install but still same error as below, any idea how to solve it? 

thanks. 

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
We weren't able to connect to the model.

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<Main>b__1()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
We weren't able to connect to the model.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @odedtole ,

Try to downgrade your desktop version to the one released in Feb.

Here is the link.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @odedtole ,

Try to downgrade your desktop version to the one released in Feb.

Here is the link.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hi @v-kelly-msft This is 64 bits, please can you provide link for 32 bits? Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-kelly-msft Downgrade can't be solution. I tried to downgrade from March version to January without success. And one more time: April version is working under any other user on the same PC.

I assume in my case Power BI stores some path to not accessible external resource and can't reach it. It happens even if I start only application without any workspace.

I tried to find where Power BI stores some cache and tried to clean everything, but it didn't help... Maybe it keeps it in the registry.

Also I tried to analise application dump, but it didn't help as well.

Try to remove completely and re-install the Feb version. it worked for me

Anonymous
Not applicable

Feb version helped. Thank you!

icarvajal83

Hello!

I have the same problem, on a pc where it came normal functioning, but I opened a new session on the pc, and I work perfectly.

As I do to make it work on the windows user where it is presenting the startup problem.

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are right. I found it too (with another user it works). Power BI reinstallation, another version, PC clean-up, reboot, temporary files cleaning - nothing helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have the same issue 😞

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2020-04-03T14:58:14.6556526Z

Local Time:
2020-04-03T17:58:14.6556526+03:00

Session ID:
493e7a35-0af0-466b-aa78-a71bcb6fb723

Release:
March 2020

Product Version:
2.79.5768.1082 (20.03) (x64)

Stack Trace:
в Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title)
в Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType)
в Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<Main>b__1()
в Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
в Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.18363.0 (x64 ru-RU)

Can't resolve it during few days

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.