Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

clombardo
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Desktop not launching, gives Unexpected Error message

I know this has been brought up before but none of the info I found is helping to resolve it.  When I launch Power BI Desktop (June '17 version as it is what I need to publish reports to our enterprise report server) I get an "Unexpected Error" message.  The full info is below.  I am running this same version on a Lenovo Yoga laptop with no issues, it's only on my powerful desktop systems that I get this issue.  Both systems are running Win10.  Anybody run into this already?

Thanks,

Chuck

ERROR DETAILS

Feedback Type:

Frown (Error)

Timestamp:

2017-12-28T18:10:13.4877297Z

Local Time:

2017-12-28T10:10:13.4877297-08:00

Product Version:

2.47.4766.2561 (PBIDesktop) (x86)

Release:

June 2017

IE Version:

OS Version:

Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.14393.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:

4.6.2. or later [Release Number = 460805]

Workbook Package Info:

None

Peak Working Set:

142 MB

Private Memory:

107 MB

Peak Virtual Memory:

713 MB

Error Message:

Could not load file or assembly 'System.Management, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Stack Trace:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Management, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

File name: 'System.Management, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Telemetry.PowerBITelemetryManager.GetProcessorInfo()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassd.<Main>b__0()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.

To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.

Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.

To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Invocation Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Nullable`1 errorCode, String requestId, Exception exception)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.SendAndMarshalExceptions(SynchronizationContext context, Action callback)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

User ID:

269965f6-3f34-41c8-82f9-ebaf905e3b84

Session ID:

c89614cf-9e28-4079-9138-e7c486188dfd

Telemetry Enabled:

True

DPI Scale:

150%

Supported Services:

Power BI Report Server, Power BI

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @clombardo,

Please download the October 2017 version here. Your version is too old.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Dale.  I installed the newer version and it runs!!  yeah!  The problem is it does not connect to my report server.  I am in an enterprise environment and have no control over the report server.  When I try to connect to the report server to publish or to open an existing report, I get this message:

ERROR

Can't open file or folder /. It may have been moved, renamed, or deleted.

Note that if I go to the report server, right click on a report and select "Edit in Power BI Desktop" , Power BI Desktop opens and then gives me a very similar message:

Error

Can't open file or folder test BC report 2.  It may have been moved, renamed, or deleted.

In this case the report name is "test BC report 2".

Is there something I still need to do to allow the connection between the report server and my Power BI Desktop?

Thanks again, really appreciate the help.

Chuck

Hi @clombardo,

What's the version of the Report Server? No special configurations are needed. Could you please create a new report to test? I would suggest upgrading the Report Server too.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
WolfBiber
Employee
Employee

Hey, do you have  .NET Framework 4. installed on your PC?

Greetings

Hi and thanks for the response.  According to the registry and info found on line, I have 4.7 installed.  It is a newly built Win 10 machine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.