Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mattkarriker
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Desktop not allowing me to Get Data

I am evaluating Power BI as an option for our organization.  Over the past few days I have installed PBI Desktop and started testing features and data accessibility.  I had no problems until this morning.  Today I can open PBI Desktop open the pbix files I have been working on, but when I try to add more data using get data the app locks up.  In the windows event log I see 2 error messages and several information messages regarding MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspaceXXXXX.  The event IDs on these messages are event 27 and event 11.  I also see to .Net Runtime OPtimization Service errors ".NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_64) - 1>Failed to compile: Microsoft.MachineLearning.TimeSeriesProcessing, Version=3.5.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d353f9ba84f0e281 . Error code = 0x80070002 ".

First I tried to repair the PBI Desktop install.  I then uninstalled and reinstalled PBI Desktop.  I also downloaded and ran the Microsoft Registry cleaner in hopes to resolve the error  To no avail I am still experiencing the issue.  Any insight or suggestions how I can over comes these issues are greatly appreciated.  

Thanks, 

Matt

4 REPLIES 4
mattkarriker
Helper I
Helper I

I finally found the log files and there seems to be a persmissions issue or a registry issue.  Not sure which.  The messge in the log is below.  

Failed to initialize SQLSQM timer. One of the following can be the source of the problem: registry doesn't contain all necessary information, server instance name can not be retrieved correctly, failure during timer creation, etc.

@mattkarriker You could try to refresh the connection, go to Options and Settings -> Data Source Settings -> Global Permissions -> highight the source and "Clear Permissions"

Try this on a seperate file then your reports before you try to update that connection... 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer I tried refreshed the connections and that doesnt seem to help.  I can refresh the data in the datasets currently in the model.  The problem I am having is adding new datasets to the model.  When I click get data and select Oracle as the source the application locks up.  I also tried this with SQL Server as the database and still froze the application.  The only way to kill it is to use the Task Manager.  

I dont know if this is related or not but when Power BI Desktop starts up I receive errors in my Windows application log and the msmdsrv.log.  This is before I open the workbook I want to edit.  The errors seem to be related to the SQLSQM.  See below. 

Failed to initialize SQLSQM timer. One of the following can be the source of the problem: registry doesn't contain all necessary information, server instance name can not be retrieved correctly, failure during timer creation, etc.

Thanks, 

Matt

@mattkarriker

"Hang" issue when adding data source should be fixed in latest version (2.37.4464.602 released on Aug 12). You can download it from: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.