Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RGTTech
Regular Visitor

Power BI Desktop not Launching

Hi guys,

I have just dowloaded and installed the latest version of Power BI Desktop on Windows 7 Ultimate platform. When I click the Power BI Desktop icon to start the application a splash screen appears, stating that Power BI Desktop is "Initializing Model" and then just closes the splash screen with no error message and Power BI Desktop does not launch.

I have read all the posts I can find in the community forum and tried various ways to fix this problem, but to no avail.

The only information I can find on this issue is in the Window event log with Error Details:

<System>
<Provider Name="MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace669878666" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49441">25</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>289</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-06-26T07:13:22.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>281239</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>msmdsrvi.rll</Data>
<Data>7177</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Has anyone perhaps come accross this or have any advice on how to get Power BI Desktop up and running? 

Thank you!
12 REPLIES 12
RGTTech
Regular Visitor

Error

(25)

The resource file '<filename>’ for locale ‘<localename>’ could not be loaded. Switching to US English (1033) if available.

I changed my laptop locale settings from SA English to US English. Error (25) MSOLAPAnalysisServicesWorkspace in Windows Eventlog now resolved. Unfortunatly, I am now faced with Error (27) MSOLAPAnalysisServicesWorkspace. These problems clearly related to SQL Server Analysis Services. Will post once I have figured it out!

hi,

I'm having the same problem and recieving the same error message. Did you find a fix? I have tried uninstalls, re-installs, delete app data. Nothing seems to work. Power BI Desktop no longer runs on my laptop.

Thanks

Stephen

Install windows 8 or 10 then you install power bi x64

hi,

The requirements for the application state that is should be compatible with Windows 7. Our environment has certain security requirements and an upgrade of OS is not really an option since it would cost a lot of time. Are we saying that this problem is a Windows 7 problem??

Thanks

Stephen

Has anyone found the resolution to this issue. I'm seeing the same issue with Windows 10 x64 and latest Power Bi desktop x64.

Try this solution from Microsoft helpdesk:

Please check whether you have any Ad-Aware Web Companion installed. If yes, please follow the instruction on the link below, then reboot and installed and launch the desktop again.

Uninstall Lavasoft Web Companion

http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/technicalproblems/faqs/how-to-uninstall-ada...

Uninstall the LavasoftTcpService.dll after uninstalling Web Companion, please:

a.Start Command Prompt as an administrator by right-clicking it and selecting "Run as administrator."

b.Enter the this command to reset the network adapter: "netsh winsock reset" without the quotation marks and hit Enter.

c.Restart the computer.

d.Delete these two files: C:\WINDOWS\system32\LavasoftTcpService64.dll  and C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\LavasoftTcpService.dll

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, it really helps!

Pritam
Frequent Visitor

I was also facing same problem since last few days, but with latest build of Power Bi Desktop 2.37.4464.602 it get resolved automatically now only thing it it is taking time to start.

Install Windows 8.1 then you install Power BI x64
blessed
Regular Visitor

hi guys may you help us p;ease because i am also facing the same problem

@blessed@RGTTech Do you meet all the other minumum requirements based on this page? Specifically .NET 4.5?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Yes, I am running .Net 4.5 - which I use to develop C#.Net applications on. I am also running MS SQL Server 2012 SP1. It seems the problem lies within "msmdsrvi.rll", I am wondering if it is possibly looking for MS SSAS OLAP services and requires a newer version of SQL Server?  Although this is not documented as a recuirement, I am deducing this from the windows error log...  

Thank you for the invitation - unfortunatly I am in SA!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.