Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndrewK
Regular Visitor

Power BI Desktop not Launching

Was happily using PowerBi just a bit ago, and then it froze, along with my computer, ended up doing a hard restart, and now Power BI won't launch.   Un-installed, reinstalled.  Tried the  PBIDesktop.msi version and PBIDesktop_x64.msi, still the same error.

Error Message:

File contains corrupted data.

Stack Trace:

System.IO.FileFormatException: File contains corrupted data.
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ProgressiveCrcCalculatingStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOModeEnforcingStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Storage.Local.ZipLocalStorage.TryGetPart(String path, Byte[]& content)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.CachingLocalStorage.TryGetPart(String path, Byte[]& content)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.SharedLocalStorage.TryGetPart(String path, Byte[]& content)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.XmlLocalStorageContext`1.TryGetPart(T& part)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.LocalStorageContext`1.Init()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.LocalUISettingsStorage.GetSettings()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.TracingUISettingsStorage.GetSettings()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.Ux.ClientUISettings.GetWindowScaleSetting(String windowScaleLeftMetadataName, String windowScaleTopMetadataName, String windowScaleWidthMetadataName, String windowScaleHeightMetadataName, String windowScaleMaximizedMetadataName)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.Ux.ClientUISettings.GetMultiArtifactEditorWindowScale()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.SplashScreenScaler.CheckScreenVisibilityRule(WindowScale input)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.SplashScreenScaler.Scale()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.SplashScreenForm.ApplyScale()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.SplashScreenForm.ShowSplashScreen()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.SplashScreenManager.ShowSplashScreen(Object parameter)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.SplashScreenManager.GetSplashScreenWindow()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.SplashScreenManager.ShowSplashScreen(WindowsHost windowsHost, SplashScreenScaler scaler)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassb.<Main>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Invocation Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Nullable`1 errorCode, String requestId, Exception exception)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.SendAndMarshalExceptions(SynchronizationContext context, Action callback)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

16 REPLIES 16
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@AndrewK

Please uninstall PBI Desktop from your computer completely and take a look at this document. There are several minimum requirements listed in it. Please make sure that your computer meets those requirements. Then download the latest version and try to install.

Best Regards,

Herbert

My computer meets the requirements, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled but the issue still persists.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Andrew,

Did you find any solution to the problem?

I am having exactly same issue.

Hey All, 

I never did find a solution to this, I used the web version for a while, but then I had Windows updating issues on that computer that were pertsistant and unexplained, so the support team here just gave me a new computer so they could take their time (or a sledgehammer) to the old one.

Here is the solution from helpdesk support:

Please check whether you have any Ad-Aware Web Companion installed. If yes, please follow the instruction on the link below, then reboot and installed and launch the desktop again.

Uninstall Lavasoft Web Companion

http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/technicalproblems/faqs/how-to-uninstall-ada...

Uninstall the LavasoftTcpService.dll after uninstalling Web Companion, please:

a.Start Command Prompt as an administrator by right-clicking it and selecting "Run as administrator."

b.Enter the this command to reset the network adapter: "netsh winsock reset" without the quotation marks and hit Enter.

c.Restart the computer.

d.Delete these two files: C:\WINDOWS\system32\LavasoftTcpService64.dll  and C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\LavasoftTcpService.dll

Same issue here, appears to be with the November 2016 release.  Could we please get a download link for the October release until Microsoft figures this out?

If you have a Power BI gateway installed on that computer, uninstall that when you uninstall Desktop.

Is this happening when you just try to launch Power BI Desktop on its own, or when you try to launch it by opening a specific file?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Right now I only have Desktop installed, and this is happening when I launch the app itself.    The computer crashed during when I was trying to save a file, and this started upon reboot.   

Huh. I wonder if it has something to do with autorecover. What happens if you try to launch by opening a file instead?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

I tried that pretty early on, and the same thing occured.  

Just double checked and it is still erroring.

@AndrewK

Is there any warning or error message in the Event Viewer when launching the PBI Desktop? You can first clear the logs in Application and System, so that we can know which logs are generated after launch PBI Desktop.

Power BI Desktop not Launching_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

After clearing no new error is being logged in the event log.

Below are the Error Details post Log Clear

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2016-10-10T21:18:17.3111652Z

Local Time:
2016-10-10T14:18:17.3111652-07:00

Product Version:
2.39.4526.362 (PBIDesktop) (x86)

Release:
September, 2016

IE Version:

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.6.1 or later [Release Number = 394271]

Peak Working Set:
151 MB

Private Memory:
126 MB

Peak Virtual Memory:
650 MB

Error Message:
File contains corrupted data.

Stack Trace:
System.IO.FileFormatException: File contains corrupted data.
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ProgressiveCrcCalculatingStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOModeEnforcingStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Storage.Local.ZipLocalStorage.TryGetPart(String path, Byte[]& content)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.CachingLocalStorage.TryGetPart(String path, Byte[]& content)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.SharedLocalStorage.TryGetPart(String path, Byte[]& content)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.XmlLocalStorageContext`1.TryGetPart(T& part)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.LocalStorageContext`1.Init()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.LocalUISettingsStorage.GetSettings()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.TracingUISettingsStorage.GetSettings()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.Ux.ClientUISettings.GetWindowScaleSetting(String windowScaleLeftMetadataName, String windowScaleTopMetadataName, String windowScaleWidthMetadataName, String windowScaleHeightMetadataName, String windowScaleMaximizedMetadataName)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.Ux.ClientUISettings.GetMultiArtifactEditorWindowScale()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.SplashScreenScaler.CheckScreenVisibilityRule(WindowScale input)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.SplashScreenScaler.Scale()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.SplashScreenForm.ApplyScale()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.SplashScreenForm.ShowSplashScreen()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.SplashScreenManager.ShowSplashScreen(Object parameter)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.SplashScreenManager.GetSplashScreenWindow()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.SplashScreenManager.ShowSplashScreen(WindowsHost windowsHost, SplashScreenScaler scaler)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassb.<Main>b__0()

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Nullable`1 errorCode, String requestId, Exception exception)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.SendAndMarshalExceptions(SynchronizationContext context, Action callback)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

User ID:
9374ad57-c7dd-4303-b39a-50407ab1d4a0

Session ID:
db87ff49-b151-47af-8b6f-8da49845dc89

Telemetry Enabled:
True

@AndrewK

Have you got this issue resolved? If issue still persists, I would like you to disable any antivirus that is on the computer and try launching the desktop then.

Best Regards,

Herbert

@AndrewK

When the you are uninstalling, are your certain to clear out the program files and app data files as well?
Please have a try if you haven’t done:
    a. Uninstall the program.
    b. Be certain to delete the Power BI Program Files.
    c. Be certain to delete the app data files.
    d. Download a new copy of Power BI Desktop from the site.
    e. Install that copy and see if it works.
If you have questions about the app data files or the program files let me know.

Are you trying to open Power BI from that file that never fully saved? That could be the issue as well. Based on the error log it looks like they’re trying to open a corrupted file. Are you able to open Power BI from just the program menu and not from that file?

Best Regards,

Herbert

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the similar issue.  I installed the latest version of Powerbidesktop.msi yesterday.

Now my powerbidesktop is not launching.  now errors.

Your input is greately appreciated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I installed the latest verion of Powerbidesktop yesterday. Today my powerbidesktop is not lounching.

No errors, no eventview logs.

appreciate input.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.