Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jalza
Regular Visitor

Power BI Desktop is not responding at start

Hello to all,

I'm trying to use Power BI Desktop but it doesn't run. At splash screen in few seconds indeterminate progress bar's points stop and nothing happens. In Task Manager Power BI Desktop is marked with Not Responding in Status column. I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro (x64) with lastest updates. Do you know why is it happening?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jalza Sounds like you may want to un-install/re-install the PBI Desktop. Is this a fresh install that you are having issues with, or an existing one you've been working with previously?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
ericleslima
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi @jalza!

Do you have the Power BI services released on Windows firewall?

Hi,

This is also happen to me and as suggested I did re-install my Power BI desktop. But 'the magic' didn't happen 😞

Btw, is there a log to it ? I mean the splash screen like command prompt which I think shows the error ? it's too fast for me to read.

For information, I install on Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit OS, x64-based-processor, memory 8 GB. Display resolution is 1366 x 768

I've also checked Windows Firewall, Micorosft Power BI (x64) : Analysis Service Component is allowed (checked) in Domain, Private, and Public.

Please help,

Anton

Hi all,

I've manage to see what is the error message, not complete but it looks like during initialization mode, it search my registry and look for SQL Server installation, SQL server 2016 to be exact. Because it say "...... registry key "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\130...... The system cannot find the file specified"

Does it need SQL Server 2016 ? Unless I overlooked, the minimum requirement is like this -->

• Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 R2, or later

• .NET 4.5

• Internet Explorer 10 or later

• Memory (RAM): At least 1 GB available, 1.5 GB or more recommended.

• Display: At least 1440x900 or 1600x900 (16:9) recommended. Lower resolutions such as 1024x768 or 1280x800 are not recommended, as certain controls (such as closing the startup screen) display beyond those resolutions.

• CPU: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster x86- or x64-bit processor recommended.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Anton

Hi Anton,

I am running into the same problem. I am considering upgrading to SQL Server 2016 - do you know if this solves the problem?

@jalza Sounds like you may want to un-install/re-install the PBI Desktop. Is this a fresh install that you are having issues with, or an existing one you've been working with previously?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hello @Seth_C_Bauer , I started this topic in the 3rd re-intallation, and the error appeared allways with fresh intall. Today is the first day I have used Power BI, but I had to use it in other laptop because of this problem...

@jalza Does the machine have the minimum requirements? Check here for those. Where are you downloading the Desktop from, the PBI Service or from the MS downloads page?

@Seth_C_Bauer I downloaded the installer from here. My machine meets all requirements except the screen resolution, it is 1366x768 in my laptop, but I usually work with 1680x1050 screen. I can run Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate without problems. Do you think that screen resolution is the problem?

jalza
Regular Visitor

@Seth_C_Bauer I don't know what happened. My laptop woke up in a better mood today, I uninstalled and reinstalled again PBI Desktop and now runs without problems... Thank you for your time.

greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@jalza, based on verbiage on the installer page, it looks like the initial splash screen may potentially load partially off the screen on a resolution that low. It's possible the splash screen might have its close button obscured and thus the program would be unusable.

Hello @greggyb, the splash screen's size is only 440x250, what you say doesn't explain why the aplication's status is "Not Responding" in the device manager. But it doesn't matter now I can run Power BI Desktop with 1366x768 resolution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.