Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Desktop is So Slow Developing Making Model Changes

I am working on a Power BI model using Power BI Desktop and it is very very slow...

Renaming a column, adding a folder structure, changing a format.....

Every change made brings up a message saying 'working on it' with a little dial/circle that ticks around for 10 secs for each and every change.

It shouldnt be like this takes for ever to make changes to a model....

8 REPLIES 8
andrewsimmans
Helper I
Helper I

use the External Tools option with Tabular Editor - massively faster

tobimax

I'm having the same issue with a model of 10 Tables and a PBIX size of 193 MB and it's excruciating. 10 seconds every change. It’s slow creating hierarches, specifying folders, creating measures. It’s in total contrast to the Power Query Editor which is snappy and quite fast. It’s like 2 different apps.

I have gone from using SSAS and Tabular Editor to this and it’s shockingly less productive.

Anyone manged to find a solution to it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will second what the others are writing. It takes forever to update. I filter my data to a bare minimum when designing but it still takes for ever AT... EVERY.... STEP...

My minimum file is a very small (23 rows and 18 columns) online Sharepoint excel file imported via Sharepoint Folder. It is absolutely killing me (lots of stressball-squeezing). I am on dec 2019 version of Power BI Desktop.

I got better performance by turning off all the auto detect features in settings. You will need "Auto date/time" on if you do not have a designated Date Table/Dimension.

Regards

Toby

pbi.png

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

What is your data source? Is that possible using Direct query instead of import?

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous  is this an imported model?   or are you connecting directly to a data source.   I would check the memory on your computer to see if this is affecting it.  If you give more information about how you are doing this that woud be helpful

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi yeah its an imported model

Of got 16GB of memory memory is about at 60% 

Id get another 16GB if that would fix the problem but Im not sure its memory related?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Theres about 70 tables in the model its on top of a data warehouse basically

Lots of DAX measures...

The model has gone through a number of iterations and restructuring/renaming

It just seems it takes a long time/is slow when making/applying changes, also in creatign new DAX measures also

Very annnoying as basically data modelling is an iterative process with additions/changes continually made and with this poor perfromance issue takes a long time

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.