Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

PankajSanwal

Power BI Desktop installer error 'The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory

Hi, 

I am trying to install latest (March 2018) release to my new windows 10 office laptop but getting error shown in below screenshot:Power_BI_Error.png

I am member of Administrator in my laptop and has even tried giving full permissions to everyone on C drive and all subfolder in hierarchy till Documents folder in my username (C:\Users\<My Username>\Documents\). Moreover, this is only hapenning in lastest releases, releases prior to Oct or Dec 2017 can still be installed witout any issue.

Please help!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Installed power BI desktop app from windows store, worked like charm.Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PankajSanwal,

The same thing happened to me several days ago. I had to restart my laptop to install Windows update before I could proceed with Power BI Desktop installation. 

@Anonymous Thanks for the reply mate.

But i have tried restarting many times it didn't worked. Can you name that specific update if possible.

Anyway i am planning to an install older rlelease first, i guess that will create the folder and later re-install the newer one again. So if installer finds the folder already created then it might not fail (Sounds dumb Smiley Wink but might work).  

Installed power BI desktop app from windows store, worked like charm.Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.