Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

petterilaitinen
Regular Visitor

Power BI Desktop freezes at end of loading data from Databricks

Hi.

I have since a week back experienced following issue:

When I update data from existing connection to Databricks, 

I see the table nicely in Power Query editor. Loading starts nicely, and everything goes smooth.

But in the end, when all rows are loaded to the Desktop, the Power BI desktop App freezes.

The below window does not respond, and the only way to proceed is to kill Power BI desktop app using Windows task manager.

Any help or ideas how to go around this?

petterilaitinen_0-1651853190344.png

Specs:

petterilaitinen_1-1651853330330.png

Edition Windows 10 Enterprise
Version 20H2

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.50 GHz
Installed RAM 16,0 GB 
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

3 REPLIES 3
toniniittymaki
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same problem. Any update on this?

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @petterilaitinen ,

Here is a newly released Power BI Desktop, could you please try with it? Here’s the link of latest version of Power BI Desktop: Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center.

In addition, we have seen some frozen issues recently and here is a workaround you can try as well. Please try it and let me know whether it is applicable to you. Thanks in advance!

Go to File>Options and Settings>Options>Preview features> Untick Power BI Desktop infrastructure update

vyangliumsft_0-1652060803591.png

Or You can try to set 'Load Tables simultaneously', Maximum allowed and clear the cache of Power BI Desktop in Options and settings to check it again.

vyangliumsft_1-1652060803595.png

In addition, If there are multiple threads in the background, consider reducing some to check whether this could be mitigated.

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-yangliu-msft !
I installed the new version that you linked above. And tested updating the data in the Power BI file. Consequence: Same behaviour, it froze at end of load.

I also ticked off Power BI Desktop infrastructure update, and cleared cache and tested higher values for 'Load Tables simultaneously'. Restarted the Power BI desktop app thereafter and tested again. Same consequence: full freeze at end of load.

I also tried changing report spefific settings, but with the same consequence. It just freezes at the end of the load.

Br., Petteri

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.