Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jnickell
Helper V
Helper V

Power BI Desktop flaky refresh (not working)

This seems to be affecting in someway both Power Query and the "model refresh".  

The first and seemingly most obvious problem is that if I open the model and hit refresh it will sit there "forever" hours + evaluating. But if I cancel that attempt and hit refresh again it can refresh in a matter of minutes. 

If I move to Power Query refreshes are likewise excruciatingly slow or not happening. In the instance I have up right now, I have a PowerQuery that I was able to refresh. That query is referenced as the first step of another query. I've been sitting here for 10-15 minutes and the query that referencing the initial query and it's only just now showed the data for that source step. 

I thought I started running into this after I did an in place upgrade to Windows 11, but I've since done a clean install of Windows 10 and still have the issue.  I did recently switch from the "Power BI dataflow" connector to the "Dataflows" connectors for all my source queries in this model. I didn't think that caused any issues, but at this point I'm willing to call it into question as well.  

Has anyone seen anything similar?

3 REPLIES 3
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jnickell ,

You can monitor report performance in Power BI Desktop using the Performance Analyzer, and monitor performance of content deployed into your organization's Power BI Premium capacity with the help of the Power BI Premium Metrics app. You can also use SQL Server Profiler to identify queries that are slow.

For more information, please check out the following resources:

If you have a Pro license, you can also create a support ticket for more help.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

jnickell
Helper V
Helper V

I wanted to add this as I think it may shed some light on the real root cause. 

Operating under the idea at this point that my problem might be coming from the PowerPlatform dataflow connector I tried creating a new data source.  I'm able to browse the list of available connectors without issue. However when I select Power BI Dataflows it literally just sat there for 4 and a half minutes with a message "Please wait while we establish a connection with Power BI Dataflows". The same operation against the "Power Platform" dataflow took just shy of 11 minutes.

If I'm having that hard of a time establishing a connection, in my mind I can see where this would cause issues with refreshing.  My searches so far haven't turned up much.

I did create a support ticket, and by the time an agent was able to 'watch' I'm currently unable to reproduce the problem. 

Other than connecting to the Power BI service, this has nothing to do with Power BI service. I don't believe Performance Analyzer will give the insight I need since this is not related to the visuals themselves.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.