Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PhilC
Resolver I
Resolver I

Power BI Desktop file as a data source

Hi,

I have a monthly reporting process and currently use PQ in Excel to extract a snapshot of the data at month end.  This file (Snapshot) is then kept static and used as a source for a second Excel file (Model), where substantial processing and measures are created.  I refresh the Model multiple times as have parameters to filter out different aspects of the data.

I want to move to using Power BI for both aspects of this process, but cannot work out how to have the Snapshot Power BI file become the source for the Model Power BI file.

Using Live Connection prohibits adding additional tables (which are needed for the processing component) and I do not want the users to have access to the Snapshot file, so it needs to be in a separate Workspace.

One aspect around this is that I want to be able to play around and develop the Model, refresh the reporting tables to update the changes, without refreshing the underlying data, ie maintaining the Snapshot as at the end of the month.

Is there a way to use a Power BI file as a source for another Power BI model?

Cheers

Phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @PhilC,

No. It is not supported to use a .pbix file as a data source for another Power BI data model. You could submit ideas here.

Besides, Incremental refresh in Power BI Premium might meet your requirement in some aspects.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @PhilC,

No. It is not supported to use a .pbix file as a data source for another Power BI data model. You could submit ideas here.

Besides, Incremental refresh in Power BI Premium might meet your requirement in some aspects.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msftYuliana, thanks for the response.

Would you suggest DataFlows as an appropriate approach to achieve what I am after?

Cheers

Phil

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.