Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

datanau001
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI Desktop - extract text from a known position

Dearl all,

I need you support with the following. I have a file with aprox. 120000 lines where the text inside the cells is broken per lines.

The only information I need from this text are the positions 12 and 13 (see below screenshot) where I'll use to categorize the type of the tickets.

Text extract.jpg

A issue I'm facing is that the text and the language in these two positions will change according to the country and due to this a conditional column or another possibility like replacing text would become a very long due to all conbinations to be created.

So, I would like to ask you for a suggestion on how to sort this out, If possible to extract it, then I can transtale to a global language like english and work with this in a calculated colunm.

Please let me know in case you need more details

Thank you

Marcelo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@datanau001 great, see attached pbix file, there are many tables but focus on tickets table and in transform data, look at query steps, you can tweak the step as per your need. I guess this will get you started.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @datanau001 ,

If this problem has been solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If not, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Icey

@Icey 

Hello Icey, it was the solution I needed.

Regards

Marcelo

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@datanau001 is it always 12 and 13 line regardless of the language? If yes then it should be straight forward. Do attach a sample data file. remove/redact sensitive information before sharing.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Hello Parry2K,

Thanks for returning. 

See attached a sample with description content of 7 tickets.

I removed the sensitive information and just kept in it the labels. Just a correction: 12 and 13, the positions are 10 and 11.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/bplchmouob1wf1axlcgtr/Tickets_description.xlsx?dl=0&rlkey=n5h1pthzn06... 

Regards

Marcelo

@datanau001 is this the outcome you are looking for?

image.png

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

@parry2k, yes it is exactly what I'm looking for 🙂

Regards

Marcelo

@datanau001 great, see attached pbix file, there are many tables but focus on tickets table and in transform data, look at query steps, you can tweak the step as per your need. I guess this will get you started.

@parry2k 

Thank you for the support! It was exactly what I was looking for.

Regards

Marcelo

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.