Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Stoon
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI Desktop canvas resolution issue

Hello everyone,

since the february update I am experiencing a weird behavior - when I drag my Power BI Desktop window from my laptop screen to my external screen (1920x1200), the canvas starts to "repicture" itself as the cursor moves around, making it impossible to select visuals or work within the application at all.

screen_resolution_issue.jpg

Has anyone been experiencing the same issue? Any ideas on how to fix that?

Thanks a lot, Ondřej.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Stoon
Advocate I
Advocate I

As it turns out it is a scaling issue. And it can be "solved" by setting the same level of scaling for both screens (in Windows at least):

scaling.jpg

Sorry for the czech language in the screenshot - Control Panel -> Appearance And Personalization -> Display -> Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays. Not a best solution, but it works for now.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am experiencing this issue in February 2023. My colleagues' zoom-settings interfere with how the reports I build are parsed, rendering Power BI reports as utterly useless, look at this example:

150% "Scale and layout" setting works perfectly and all visuals are alligned (underlying matrix with data, text boxes like "Total Revenue" and "Total Costs" to format them as bold, and the black and grey highlighting lines):

power bi error 1.png

100% "Scale and layout" setting makes all visuals misaligned and rows are no longer matched with the lines:  power bi error 2.png

Is there an issue posted where we can vote this up? This is troublesome when sharing reports with non-technical business users, and the only safe way to include Power BI data into Power Point is now to use images or snippets of reports that won't update automatically. I am not impressed!

carvalhiere

In my case this problem was happening every time that my display scale was set to a value different than 100%.

I use only my laptop screen, so I had to reduce its resolution to a size that I could keep the scale as 100% (image below).

Now it is working fine.

Capture.PNG

Checklist
Advocate II
Advocate II

I'm experiencing the same problem with the latest update - PowerBi is blurry on my two extra screens when recommended display settings are used.  This needs to be resolved ASAP!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am another person experiencing the same issue as I move from my laptop to my large monitor! I would love to see a resolution that allows for me to use the new features in the latest release.

Resolution Issue Example.PNG

That is an image of how poorly the the desktop app appears on my large monitor with the latest update.

I'm experiencing the exact same issue, where scaling isnt' working correctly on my external monitors at 1920x1200. The desktop app is unusable unless it's shown on the screen of my surface book, it is useless on my external displays because of this. Help!

@Anonymous  thanks for replying. That looks exactly like mine. Very unreadable.

I hope there's a solution for this, I'd like to get the newer version of Desktop.

Alex_Ooi
Helper IV
Helper IV

I am also having issue with my Sep 2019 version! It was working fine before the update few minutes ago. I did not create another thread since this issue is already discussed.

@Alex_Ooi I agree, it's messed up in the September 2019 release. It worked fine in the June 2019 release, installed using the msi file (x64, English). But using the exe installer with the July 2019 release the problem showed up.

I have used Desktop successfully on my laptop for a couple of years, with two additional monitors connected. I have each of the monitors set to the "Recommended" scaling - 125% on the laptop display, 100% on the 23-inch and 27-inch monitors - all of them 192x1080. Everything worked fine in the June 2019 release - dragging it between screens showed everything properly instantaneously, and I gained extra screen real estate on the larger monitors.

Starting with the July 2019 release, the screen is nearly unreadable on the 23-inch or 27-inch monitor at recommended scaling (100%) - text is broken and blotchy, in the panes as well as the canvas. Changing the monitor to 125% scaling (same as the main display) makes the screen readable, but now everything is large and I've lost the additional work area I rely on.

This is not good. Is there a better solution? I am going back to the June 2019 realease for now, even though I will lose some great new features like icon sets and grouping.

@SamTrexler Can you show me a link on how I am able to revert to June 2019 version please?

@Alex_Ooi I still had the June 2019 version in my downloads folder. So I just uninstalled the September version and ran the msi file to install the June version.

I don't know if there's a place where you can go to get the previous version. With all of the people being affected so significantly, maybe Microsoft should post a link to a version that works properly, until they get this fixed?

mgpmul
Advocate I
Advocate I

How can this issue be tagged as 'Solved'. Changing the display settings is just a workaround.
I work from a stand alone laptop when at home or travelling. 
At the office, I have 2 additional, larger HD screens to work on.
I use different display settings for my laptop monitor and for the 2 larger screens.

Currently, I cannot work with Desktop Power BI from my laptop, as it does not show the canvas properly.

Please fix the root cause.

Rumpatum
Regular Visitor

Try Uninstalling your Power BI Desktop App --> Change your displays scale size to the desired normal setting (In my case it was 100%) --> Reinstall the Desktop App. 

Worked for my issue of cutting off my reports when I reinstalled under wrong scale size. Hope this helps

ash3r
Regular Visitor

I am really wondering when this is going to be resolved.

I am getting tired of having to set identical scaling on all my monitors.

Stoon
Advocate I
Advocate I

As it turns out it is a scaling issue. And it can be "solved" by setting the same level of scaling for both screens (in Windows at least):

scaling.jpg

Sorry for the czech language in the screenshot - Control Panel -> Appearance And Personalization -> Display -> Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays. Not a best solution, but it works for now.

Thank you Stoon for providing the workaround.  Unfortunately, changing the scaling does not resolve the issue and scaling options are intended for customization.  I am having the same issue when connecting to wired and wireless monitors, but the display still seems to render appropriately on the native monitor, the Surface Pro 4.  This issue popped up with the latest PBI desktop release.  Please review and fix.

@Stoon,

Glad to hear that. You may help accept solution. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Stoon,

I can not reproduce the issue. You may create a support ticket.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm also experiencing this issue along with my colleagues on Surface Pro devices. I wonder if it is due to High Density Display Scaling issues? Have you had any luck raising a ticket?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.