Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Stoon Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Desktop canvas resolution issue

Hello everyone,

since the february update I am experiencing a weird behavior - when I drag my Power BI Desktop window from my laptop screen to my external screen (1920x1200), the canvas starts to "repicture" itself as the cursor moves around, making it impossible to select visuals or work within the application at all.

screen_resolution_issue.jpg

Has anyone been experiencing the same issue? Any ideas on how to fix that?

Thanks a lot, Ondřej.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Stoon Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Power BI Desktop canvas resolution issue

As it turns out it is a scaling issue. And it can be "solved" by setting the same level of scaling for both screens (in Windows at least):

scaling.jpg

Sorry for the czech language in the screenshot - Control Panel -> Appearance And Personalization -> Display -> Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays. Not a best solution, but it works for now.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

@Stoon,

I can not reproduce the issue. You may create a support ticket.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
JonesTrac Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I'm also experiencing this issue along with my colleagues on Surface Pro devices. I wonder if it is due to High Density Display Scaling issues? Have you had any luck raising a ticket?

Stoon Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

As it turns out it is a scaling issue. And it can be "solved" by setting the same level of scaling for both screens (in Windows at least):

scaling.jpg

Sorry for the czech language in the screenshot - Control Panel -> Appearance And Personalization -> Display -> Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays. Not a best solution, but it works for now.

View solution in original post

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

@Stoon,

Glad to hear that. You may help accept solution. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Gershom New Member

Thank you Stoon for providing the workaround.  Unfortunately, changing the scaling does not resolve the issue and scaling options are intended for customization.  I am having the same issue when connecting to wired and wireless monitors, but the display still seems to render appropriately on the native monitor, the Surface Pro 4.  This issue popped up with the latest PBI desktop release.  Please review and fix.

ash3r Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I am really wondering when this is going to be resolved.

I am getting tired of having to set identical scaling on all my monitors.

Rumpatum Visitor
Visitor

Try Uninstalling your Power BI Desktop App --> Change your displays scale size to the desired normal setting (In my case it was 100%) --> Reinstall the Desktop App. 

Worked for my issue of cutting off my reports when I reinstalled under wrong scale size. Hope this helps

mgpmul Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

How can this issue be tagged as 'Solved'. Changing the display settings is just a workaround.
I work from a stand alone laptop when at home or travelling. 
At the office, I have 2 additional, larger HD screens to work on.
I use different display settings for my laptop monitor and for the 2 larger screens.

Currently, I cannot work with Desktop Power BI from my laptop, as it does not show the canvas properly.

Please fix the root cause.

Alex_Ooi Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I am also having issue with my Sep 2019 version! It was working fine before the update few minutes ago. I did not create another thread since this issue is already discussed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 203 members 2,367 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: