cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deepak_sk17 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Power BI Desktop automatic refresh queries one-by-one

Hi Guavaq,

Very helpful. but in excel 2016, the below option of "Parallel loading of tables" option is removed.  And process requires, the refresh of tables need to be in parallel. Else it take more than 5 times it was taking me earlier.  Is there any option of enable the option.  Thanks you in advance.

Regards

Deepak

Super User
Super User

Hi there, I know that there is that option in Power BI Desktop, not sure if there

There is the option in Excel also once you open the Power Query Editor.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

"Proud to be a Datanaut!"

Power BI Blog
naubrey Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks so much. Smiley Very Happy

PBI can be very cryptic with their error messages but your advice has solved a long term issue that I have been expereiencing. 

Super User
Super User

Hi @naubrey

Glad to hear that it solved your issue!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

"Proud to be a Datanaut!"

Power BI Blog
Murtuzahm Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I am unchecking the option Enable Parrallel loading of tables but this is not working and both my tables are loading in parrallel. My data source is two tables from Sql Server. 

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

jvaught Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I've researched this a ton but can't find the answer to these questions:

• When parallel loading is disabled, what determines the load order?
  • Is it the order of the queries in the query list under Edit Queries?
  • How do query dependencies come into play?
  • Also, when parallel load is enabled, does the refresh give any priority to predecessors in the dependency network?

I THINK the load order is only based on the order of the query list when this parallel load is disabled. But, I am not sure how query dependencies play into that.

Besides this thread, here were a couple other links I found useful: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Query-Dependencies/td-p/28306 (Makes good points about how caching order effects what is "current" when the loads happen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfdypVSYb9c  (Shows how to introduce delays to manually force the order)

In my situation I have a table which is a join of two predecessor tables. I have an index column which is created after a sort which is done after the join. If the refresh of this table hits the cached version of one or both of the predecessor tables then the index value will be incorrect. This creates some odd behavior in the report. It usually resolves itself with multiple refreshes but makes the data feel very unreliable. It would be great to get some more clarity on these questions!