Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

en-j
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Desktop asking for login on every start up

hallo 

every time I open up Power BI Desktop I am required to sign in with my work account: it does not keep sign in information between sessions.

Is this the expected behaviour?

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @en-j,

There is a new little version now. Could you please try this new one?  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331&751be11f-ede8-5a0c-058c-2ee190a24fa6=...

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Aman04

Hello,

I am facing the same issue. I followed the instructions provided by Dale. However, I am still facing the issue of login everytime I open Power Bi Desktop session on my Windows 11 pro PC.

I downloaded the versions mention in these messages. 

Please help to resolve this issue.

Thanks!

tyranlewis
Frequent Visitor

I am getting this on the version from the MS Store.  I am at version 2.62.5222.601 64 bit - sept 2018

brjones
Advocate I
Advocate I

I too have this problem, but it's not EVERY time I open PowerBI desktop, just every so often.  Super frustrating though.

I could completely understand a web application forgetting my login information, but for the desktop software installed on my PC I see no reason for it to 'lose' the credentials and require sign-in again.  Really is irritating.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @en-j,

Is sign-in required even opening Desktop only (from the shortcut)? Which version did you use? Please keep it the latest version: Version: 2.50.4859.502 64-bit (September 2017). You can upgrade it from here:https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331&751be11f-ede8-5a0c-058c-2ee190a24fa6=....

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dale

thank you for asking.

Sign-in is required at every opening of the Desktop.

Inversely, when accessing Powerbi Service I am asked to sign in only if the session token has not expired, as it happen normally on a web site.

My version is the one you are pointing.

My work account is associated to the current login account.

Hi @en-j,

There is a new little version now. Could you please try this new one?  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331&751be11f-ede8-5a0c-058c-2ee190a24fa6=...

Best Regards!

Dale

Thank you Dale,

I installed it (Version: 2.50.4859.782) and little has changed: it keeps "forgetting" sign in information when opened, but sometimes it skips asking for password.

Hi @en-j,

How about opening Power BI from the shortcut in the desktop or in the start menu? Could you please share some snapshots?

Best Regards!

Dale

Thank you, Dale,

I am always launching PBI Desktop from the start menu.

Anyway, after the weekend it seems to work properly: when it opens it is already logged in.

I am not sure whether the update you pointed me at has solved definitely, but surely it helped!

Many thanks!

That's great! My pleasure.

Best Regards!

Dale

Hi,

that's happening all the time to me with the latest version

Version: 2.53.4954.481 64-bit (December 2017)

working withing the company network, it asks for login credentials each time and it even can't use the windows credentials, I am forced to insert domain\username and apssword each time

if I uninstall and reinstall, the first few times it works fine

1) once I enter my work email, it doesn't ask for any credentials, it just uses windows credentials

2) in subsequent logins, it remembers my credentials and it doesn't ask for my work email

BUT once powerbi crashes once, it becomes unable to remember the login until I manually clear the whole credentials manager from all Office16 cached credentials (at least 8 of them, painstaking process)

reason of crashes: very often when trying to draw relationships SQLDUMPER.EXE appears for no reason, it does nothing, and after a few seconds POWERBI crashes

after that, the login process is corrupted

win10 enterprise 1607 (14393.1770), fresh notebook built a month ago, 16G RAM

I think there's some work for the developers to fix these issues in the next releases....

Same here, please let me know the new thread if you did open this issue on another one.

Hi @mrzap000,

Please create a new thread if you still have this issue. Please refer to this thread for details of crashing when creating relationship.

Best Regards,

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.