Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

meyer
Regular Visitor

Power BI Desktop and RAM

Hi everyone,

As I'm new to Power BI, when you use Power BI Desktop does it always load the entire data in your RAM ?

Is there a version of Power BI where all the data is stored on the cloud and doesn't need to load the data on my local computer ?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Power BI uses an in-memory engine so high RAM use in the desktop can happen. You can do some work in the cloud service but for more advanced modeling, Power BI is the authoring tool of record.

Edit: to be thorough I should mention that you could use DirectQuery with some data sources, but it's far from the ideal way to connect to data and Import remains the ideal:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-directquery

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Power BI uses an in-memory engine so high RAM use in the desktop can happen. You can do some work in the cloud service but for more advanced modeling, Power BI is the authoring tool of record.

Edit: to be thorough I should mention that you could use DirectQuery with some data sources, but it's far from the ideal way to connect to data and Import remains the ideal:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-directquery

1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.