Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Desktop and Azure Blob - Column Names and Data Types in JSON, Data in CSVs

Hello All,

I am looking for a push in the right direction. I have a scenerio I can't seem to find online.

I connect Power BI Desktop to Azure Blob Storage (Data Lake) and I am easily able to find my Sales Cube, but the issue I have is that my column names, data types, etc. are in a model.json file, and my data is in CSVs.

All of the posts I find online for combining these files in Power Query deal with only same file types (CSVs) and the CSVs have headers that define column name and type. When I try to combine the json and csv, I obviously get an error.

I can fairly easily expand out the json to get the column names for a partical csv and use advanced query to rename the CSVs column names by doing a list to table from the expanded json, but getting data types becomes complex, and I am sure there are many other considerations down the road.

Is there an easier way to build tables where json holds all the model information and the CSVs just hold the data in generic columns?

Thank you in Advanced Datanauts!

DataNauts / SuperUsers

2 REPLIES 2
ThomasPBI
Frequent Visitor

Hi PawelGM,

I have the same problem as you do. Sadly i dont even know how to "expand out the json to get the column names for a partical csv and use advanced query to rename the CSVs column names by doing a list to table from the expanded json". Are you able to help me out with a like or a quick how to guide?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thomas,

This article helped me rename the columns from a table. The article solve my issue, and at this point I am just asking around for a more effecient way to accomplish the task, as I have many entities that need this procedure in a data warehouse:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Auto-renaming-columns-based-on-value-in-another-table/td-p/...

I will try to do a walk thorugh if I have some spare time. Please check back soon.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.