Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

prabhu64
Regular Visitor

Power BI Desktop and Analysis Services in AAD Domain Service Live connection failure

Analysis server Is a VM in Azure. Deployed in a VNET where Azure Active directory domain service is configured.

VM/Analysis server Joined to a domain (Note AAD Domain service  is only supported  in Classic deployments).

DNS of analysis server is xyz.cloudapp.net

Power BI desktop: I am trying to  connect to the analysis server  from PBI desktop in live connection mode.

server name = xyz.cloudapp.net(which is the cloud service name). I am Unable to connect. I could see that the requests are coming in as anonymus requests.

Note

1.I am connecting PBI desktop from a laptop that is not joined to a domain. This is the scenario  and connecting the laptop to a  domain is not an option.

2. Both the anaysis service and gateway service are running using a service account/domain account.

3. There is no problem connecting to the AS server from PBI service.

4. I tried signing into PBI desktop with the work account and tried to connect to AS server and no luck

Let me know how to resolve the issue. 

Thank You

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @prabhu64,

Have you tried using the Azure AS server name as the server name from Power BI Desktop to see if it works?

According this article which describes how to get data from Azure Analysis Services:

Before you connect, you need to get the server name. In Azure portal > server > Overview > Server name, copy the entire server name. If other users in your organization are connecting to this server too, you'll want to share this server name with them. When specifying a server name, the entire path must be used.

Regards

Thanks v-ljerr-msft for responding.

My VM is deployed in classic deployment model and I see only the DNS i.e xyz.cloudapp.net which is the cloud service of the VM. I had to use the classic deployment model because the AAD Domain service is avaliable only in the classic model today in Azure.

The domain to which this analysis server (VM) is joined is an internal domain  right? i.e the domain service "domain(example.com)" is not valid outside of Azure . After Joining the VM to the domain service "domain" and when I remote to the server and look up the server name in the server explorer I could see server name as vmname.example.com as the server name.  However this  server name vmname.example.com  does not resolve from the internet and wont resolve when I connect from PBI desktop.

We are a cloud only enterprise and there is no on-prem foot print. So how do I solve the problem of using PBI desktop?

What is working

1. Connection from PBI service using the work account and live connection mode .

2. I tried installing the PBI destop in the VM  it self and used the VM name as the server name  while using PBI desktop  in live more and it is working.

I suspect that the issue is only when connecting from the internet with PBI desktop from another domain. The user/server domain is not recoganized. 

I see a post where the user is facing the same issue I am facing now. 

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/User-Not-Authorized-Connecting-Power-BI-Desktop-to-Hosted/td...

However the runas as mentioned in the above post is not working for Power BI. Pleas let me know how to proceed here 

Thank You

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.