I am having big issues that firstly started with On Premise gateway September 2018 update installation.
I have not done any changes to the pbix files, the extraction was the same and after the installation it started crashing with "Out of memory errors" in the logs. Looking at the server resources I can confirm there is plenty of memory available so it is not a resource problem.
At this point I had PBI desktop Aug 2018 installed on the same computer. I was able to open it and run full extraction of data without issues.
I then installed PBI September 2018 update, opened the same pbix file. PBI desktop starts giving me Java errors like "Out of memory on line 2", "jquery is undefined". I do not even have to click anything, I just wait 30 seconds and it starts giving this.
I also tryed removing all the reports but I get the same issue.
The only thing that solved it is installing back the August 2018 PBI desktop version.
I could not believe it so I tryed the same thing on a another computer and I get the same issues.
My source files are 5 XML files with up to 12 MB size per file. I am doing some merging and transformation. Nothing really fancy.
I am assuming after all the above debugging that on-prem gateway has the same issues as PBI for sept 2018 release. So finding the on-prem gateway from Aug 2018 I could confirm this, however I could not find it anywhere.
Anyone else having similar issues? Does anyone have on-prem gateway installer from Aug 2018 ?
I am not sure how to do that in PBI... Sorry noob here...
I am running a PBI desktop august release because september release crashes 30 seconds after I open my pbix file even without loading any data from source files. I can just leave it there and it will crash.
We are having numerous issues with the September update to the on premises gateway. We have more than a dozen scheduled routines running daily and they ran without a hitch for months until we updated the gateway with the September release and now we have a constant series of problems. Routines that ran in 20 minutes before are now timing out after two hours. We simply did not have these issues before. I'm glad to know that we are not alone. We've been racking our brains trying to determine what changed and the only thing we can find is that we updated the gateway and PBI desktop. Not sure which one is causing the problem because we have started getting out of memory errors in PBI Desktop too. Again, none of these things happened before we updated.