Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hansii83
Regular Visitor

Power BI Desktop Version --> can I use it without the Microsoft cloud --> additional replies/opinion

Dear all,

I closed the topic too soon. (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Power-BI-Desktop-Version-gt-can-I-use-it-without-the-Micros...

--> My target is to receive further replies from you as members of this community. It is important, as I want to be sure, when introducting Power BI to our customers.

--> Could you please confirm the answers given to this topic?

Thank you very much in advance!!!

BR Hans-Jörg Scherr

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Hansii83 ,

--> If I only use Power BI Desktop without Publishing it to the web, it will only remain within my premises, right? That means, it will not be stored in any cloud, correct?

Yes. If  users just use Desktop and don't publish reports from Desktop to Service, data will be always stored in the data source rather than in any cloud (except that data source is from cloud). 

--> Would the answer to above change, if I am a) a pro user or b) an unregistered user?

It is still same as above. No matter what licence we have, data which is just created and saved in Desktop will not be stored in any cloud. 

The most common uses for Power BI Desktop are the following: 

• Connect to data
  • Transform and clean that data, to create a data model
  • Create visuals, such as charts or graphs, that provide visual representations of the data
  • Create reports that are collections of visuals, on one or more report pages.
    ( When the reports are completed, they will be stored on our premises.)

For specific data source in Desktop, you could reference the document : Power BI Desktop privacy levels .

• In Power BI Desktop, privacy levels specify an isolation level that defines the degree that one data source will be isolated from other data sources. Although a restrictive isolation level blocks information from being exchanged between data sources, it may reduce functionality and impact performance.

And you could reference the document about Power BI Service : Power BI security whitepaper . I think learning the document is helpful for you to understand Power BI completely. 

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Hansii83 ,

--> If I only use Power BI Desktop without Publishing it to the web, it will only remain within my premises, right? That means, it will not be stored in any cloud, correct?

Yes. If  users just use Desktop and don't publish reports from Desktop to Service, data will be always stored in the data source rather than in any cloud (except that data source is from cloud). 

--> Would the answer to above change, if I am a) a pro user or b) an unregistered user?

It is still same as above. No matter what licence we have, data which is just created and saved in Desktop will not be stored in any cloud. 

The most common uses for Power BI Desktop are the following: 

• Connect to data
  • Transform and clean that data, to create a data model
  • Create visuals, such as charts or graphs, that provide visual representations of the data
  • Create reports that are collections of visuals, on one or more report pages.
    ( When the reports are completed, they will be stored on our premises.)

For specific data source in Desktop, you could reference the document : Power BI Desktop privacy levels .

• In Power BI Desktop, privacy levels specify an isolation level that defines the degree that one data source will be isolated from other data sources. Although a restrictive isolation level blocks information from being exchanged between data sources, it may reduce functionality and impact performance.

And you could reference the document about Power BI Service : Power BI security whitepaper . I think learning the document is helpful for you to understand Power BI completely. 

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only time it will be stored in the cloud is if you have publish it to Power BI service, which you need a Pro license to do.

Jared

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.