Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

domisj
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Desktop Thousands Separator problem

Hello, 

i have received problem with thousands separator. Converting text to decimal. I seems, that symbol is not "space". I have made detail video: https://youtu.be/T3yWRLUqzz8 any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
domisj
Frequent Visitor

By the way, this problem appears not in all workplaces, so i think this is some kind problem with regional settings and Power BI Desktop "web connector". I can provide more info or even make video.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @domisj,

Based on your video and screenshot, the symbol is not space, it just looks like “space” in Power BI Desktop.

To investigate more details about the symbol, you can use HEX-Editor in Notepad++ to view the sample data 1 006,956, then compare the Ascii codes of the symbol and “space”. For more details about ASCII description, please review this blog.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft,

yes it's not "space", but i believe Power BI "web connector" is taking data with wrong encoding, or just replacing it on the way, because data taken directly from web has 20 hex code (space) and data taken from Power BI - A0.

Short video about this:

https://youtu.be/nmYj23wMPgg

waltheed
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,

You solved the problem in Power Query. That's good. 🙂

But if you want to know what kind of character it is, you can paste the original text in NotePad++. That tool is able to show all strange and "invisible" characters.

Cheers, Edgar Walther
ITsmart BI and Analytics consultant

Thank you for your reply, but NotePad++(with option "Show All Characters") doesn't showing nothing unusual, just regular space.

notepadpp.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.