Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sheetalhordia
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Desktop SSAS MD Live Connection

Hi,

I am using Power BI desktop latest version to connect to a SSAS MD (cube/database) using Live Connection.

While creating a report/dashboard is it possible to add function to the visual filters? Eg: If I want to see avg sales last month so - adding Month to the Visual Filter and then specifying the Month(Now()) - 1 so whenever the report is viewed/refreshed it always shows last month's sales or using some other MDX way ?

Also, is it possible to add parameters to the report/dashboard? ex: select country/region of sales dynamically from the available values?

Is there any other way to filter/parameterize the Power BI report with SSAS MD Live Connection. I do not want to change the SSAS Model and I don't see adding columns/measures enabled while working in this mode.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sheetalhordia,

1. While creating a report/dashboard is it possible to add function to the visual filters? Eg: If I want to see avg sales last month so - adding Month to the Visual Filter and then specifying the Month(Now()) - 1 so whenever the report is viewed/refreshed it always shows last month's sales or using some other MDX way ?

In Power BI Desktop, whether we use live connection or not, we are not able to configure Visual/Page/ Report level filter based on DAX Today() function. currently, we can only specify filter condition as static values. See this similar thread: Is it possible to filter by current date? .

2. Also, is it possible to add parameters to the report/dashboard? ex: select country/region of sales dynamically from the available values?

No, Query Parameter is not available in live connection. For more information, see: Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates.

3. Is there any other way to filter/parameterize the Power BI report with SSAS MD Live Connection. I do not want to change the SSAS Model and I don't see adding columns/measures enabled while working in this mode.

In live connection mode, we almost can't perform any modification for data model. All data displayed in Power BI is retrieved from SSAS, without any transformation and modification. The result is expected.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sheetalhordia
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the response and explaining in detail. For parameterizing the dashboard, I used the required dimensions also as a part of another chart - ex - sales by country in one chart and sales per month in another, and then selecting a country would also affect the sales per month chart to change based on the country selected. So on and so forth.

Filtering i think for SSAS live we will need to add that as measures in the SSAS model itself.

Thanks again!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sheetalhordia,

1. While creating a report/dashboard is it possible to add function to the visual filters? Eg: If I want to see avg sales last month so - adding Month to the Visual Filter and then specifying the Month(Now()) - 1 so whenever the report is viewed/refreshed it always shows last month's sales or using some other MDX way ?

In Power BI Desktop, whether we use live connection or not, we are not able to configure Visual/Page/ Report level filter based on DAX Today() function. currently, we can only specify filter condition as static values. See this similar thread: Is it possible to filter by current date? .

2. Also, is it possible to add parameters to the report/dashboard? ex: select country/region of sales dynamically from the available values?

No, Query Parameter is not available in live connection. For more information, see: Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates.

3. Is there any other way to filter/parameterize the Power BI report with SSAS MD Live Connection. I do not want to change the SSAS Model and I don't see adding columns/measures enabled while working in this mode.

In live connection mode, we almost can't perform any modification for data model. All data displayed in Power BI is retrieved from SSAS, without any transformation and modification. The result is expected.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.