Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dinci5

Power BI Desktop - SCCM Deployment and updates

Hi,

We are planning to deploy Power BI Desktop via SCCM to our users who have a Power BI license.

The deployment is no problem at all, I know it will work.

I have read an article a while ago that the software receives monthly updates.

I was wondering how this would behave in a professional environment where software is being deployed via SCCM and end-users are not local administrators on their devices.

I suppose the monthly updates will not work then?

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dinci5,

When Power BI desktop monthly update available in Microsoft download page, we need to download the installer file manually then install on the machine, it won't install automatically.

In your scenario, as the Power BI desktop is deployed by SCCM, once new desktop version is available, you need to deploy it again via SCCM. If you don't deploy, the end user keep running the old desktop version.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yeah that's what I thought.

I was hoping it could be setup to update automatically from Microsoft CDN, like Office 365 ProPlus Click 2 Run installers.

Too bad 😞

Hi @dinci5,

Good news. PG are starting making Power BI Desktop available through the Windows Store to make it update automatically. You can vote up this idea: Power BI Desktop Auto UpdateSmiley Happy

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.