Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ChrisS9Tech

Power BI Desktop - Report View not displaying correctly, no customisation

Hi,

I'm having some serious problems just using Power BI out of the box.

This is how Power BI desktop opens - it is liked it is zoomed in on part of the desktop:

You can see that part of a previously created chart is cut off. It is like you need to scroll to the left to see more, but there is no scrolling available, it is a fixed frame.

PowerBI Desktop.png

Power BI Desktop

This is how it should display - this is a web view, but the principle should be clear - it is showing only the bottom RHS:

PowerBI - what it should look like.png

Power BI - what I should see

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and have tried both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of Power BI Desktop, but they both open by default, even with a blank/new report, with the same view.

I'm totally stuck and this has made Power BI unusable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have discovered the source of this issue.

I use a laptop and have a docking station to connect to a second monitor.

It transpired that when I disconnected from the docking station and launched Power BI, it displayed correctly on my laptop screen. I then plugged back into my docking station and it is now displaying correctly. This is strange as the resolution on both monitors are identical. I don't know how this issue came about, and I can no longer reproduce this behaviour. 

Thanks for your help Lin.

Regards,

Chris.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @ChrisS9Tech

I have tested on my side, but not reproduce the issue.

If the Power BI Desktop is the latest version?

and if the same pbix file for the same latest version of Power BI Desktop in other computers works well?

could you check the computer display Settings, such as resolution ,etc.

If not your case, you'd better create a support ticket in Power BI Support to get further help.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lin,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the latest version of Power BI.

PBI version.png

It is not related to the pbix file, if i just open a new session of PBI desktop, it loads like this - I used a previous file to demonstrate. I have attached a picture of what it looks like when first opened:

PowerBI on load.png

This is not a resolution issue, as all other office applications etc are all displaying correctly.

I will raise a support ticket and post back if a solution is found.

Regards,

Chris.

I have discovered the source of this issue.

I use a laptop and have a docking station to connect to a second monitor.

It transpired that when I disconnected from the docking station and launched Power BI, it displayed correctly on my laptop screen. I then plugged back into my docking station and it is now displaying correctly. This is strange as the resolution on both monitors are identical. I don't know how this issue came about, and I can no longer reproduce this behaviour. 

Thanks for your help Lin.

Regards,

Chris.

ChrisS9Tech

This is how Power BI desktop opens - it is liked it is zoomed in on part of the desktop:

You can see that part of a previously created chart is cut off. It is like you need to scroll to the left to see more, but there is no scrolling available, it is a fixed frame.

Power BI Desktop

This is how it should display - this is a web view, but the principle should be clear - it is showing only the bottom RHS:

Power BI - what I should see

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and have tried both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of Power BI Desktop, but they both open by default, even with a blank/new report, with the same view.

I'm totally stuck and this has made Power BI unusable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.