Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Desktop Refresh Issue

Hello,

I currently have a PowerBI Desktop pointing towards an Excel as a data source. The data source was recently updated, and is meant to be appended onto in a recurring manner.

The data is only meant to append as rows. It does not add any new columns.

When I open the Excel, I can see that it contains the new rows. However, when I refresh a PowerBI Desktop dashboard, which I ahve tapping onto this same excel, the dashboard does not update?

A workaround appears to be opening the file. Saving it, even though no changes have been made. And then refreshng the dashboard. The dashboard will then show the refreshed data.

However, this does not seem like a feasible solution. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

Query table will cache the previous table structure into query steps, it does not dynamic changes based on source data.
You need to enter to query editor and find out these query table steps who cached the previous table structure to add new fields.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
edhans
Super User
Super User

Can you please clarify what you mean by "Dashboard?" Power BI Desktop doesn't do dashboards. Just reports. All Dashboards are done exclusively in the service and will not be updated until either a new PBIX is uploaded or the data is refreshed via the Scheduled Refresh settings.

If you just mean that your report isn't updating in the desktop when you hit the Refresh button at the top in the ribbon, there is something else going on. Closing and opening should not be necessary. I'd do two things:

1. Ensure you are working with the latest desktop app.
  2. Reboot your PC. There could be temporary issue that is preventing the data from refreshing properly. But I've never experienced this bug nor seen it reported.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.