Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Desktop Preview features not visible

Hi have updated to the latest version of Power BI desktop but I do not have the latest preview features available within options. I cannot see RLS and cross filtering, any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ankit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

The newest Power BI Desktop version is available now, you can download it from here: Microsoft Power BI Desktop .

In this release version, we can use RLS feature, see:

w1.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
ElenaMit
Regular Visitor

Hi, 

Need to use Preview Features option to be able to allow using bookmark option, but from some reason this is disabled in my  PBI desktop (October 2017) installation.

Capture.PNG

What configuration am I misssing?

Thansk in advance

Elena Mitlin

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

The newest Power BI Desktop version is available now, you can download it from here: Microsoft Power BI Desktop .

In this release version, we can use RLS feature, see:

w1.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't end! I can create roles in Power BI desktop but it doesn't seem to have any impact in power BI service as the member of a RLS role can still view all data, when I do view as role member it shows me correctly restricted data but when the role member logs in all data is visible. So something somewhere is still broken :(.

Hi @Anonymous,

If you add group users under the role in Power BI Service, the user must have read-only permission. You will need to indicate that members can only view Power BI content within the group settings.

rls-group-settings.png

And the dataset owner will see all data in the report.

For more information, please refer to "Using RLS with Groups in Power BI" in this article: Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI (Preview)

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Thank you for having a look.

I created a content pack for the dataset with RLS and shared it with three users each of which have different role membership. There was a group which had common membership but I ensured that the privacy level is read only and yet the users can view all data. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Ankit

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, if I add those shared user account under the created role, when creating a content pack for the dataset, shared users cann't see all the data after getting this content pack. In your scenario, please double check if those share users are added under the role, and they only have read-only permission in the group. Make sure they are not dataset owner.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

I did not share my content pack with specific group but rather with individual role members using their email id. so essentially I published my desktop report file to my workspace (this file had the roles defined with RLS). Then using the dataset I added individual users to the role membeship. I then created a content pack and shared that with individual users (Not Groups within PowerBI).  These individual users are the same as users with role membership but it seems the RLS isn't working this way.

After checking your last post I created a group and assigned members read only permissions to it and recreated a content pack shared with this group and now RLS works. So finidngs are that RLS only work when shared through a group created within PowerBI. if I share directly it ends up allowing users right to all data.

Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have come to assume that RLS works on report level only and any content pack created using the data with RLS has no RLS itself. Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Hi @Anonymous,

I can reproduce the issue like yours. It seems that the created rule in Power BI Desktop will not work in Power BI Service. I will report the issue internally and will keep you updated once I get any feedback.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

There is no RLS in Desktop, it is a Service feature. Not sure about cross filtering.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alas, my knowledge is 2 days dated. Let me take a look, I haven't updated to this month's version yet, was on vacation in Scotland and just got back Tuesday.

Latest book!:

I was wondering the same yesterday, but I noticed the article was posted on 6/28. I would suspect that this will be in the June Desktop update...which should be out today??

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did my power BI desktop update just an hour or so ago. I also assumed since the article is already out so would be the latest version with the preview, it would appear that someone was just too trigger happy :).

Yeah, I don't see an official announcement about a new Desktop version in the official blog just yet:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/

So, I'm betting that the new version that has this isn't officially released just yet.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah! let's wait for the new release then. It's good to know I am not the only who has no idea what's going on.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.