cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User I
Super User I

Power BI Desktop Performance

is there a way of monitoring the performance of power bi in terms of response times in the desktop application?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution.
Proud a to be a Datanaut!
7 REPLIES 7
Super User IV
Super User IV

Re: Power BI Desktop Performance

@vanessafvg great question, whatyou are trying to achieve? Are you looking on performance etc?

Proud to be a Datanaut! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Super User I
Super User I

hi @parry2k mostly around response times, particularly with visuals.  Im finding that adding some of them (mostly custom) can create issues, and ArcGIS is horrible 😞   

but if there was some way of measuring performance across the whole picture from data to visuals that would be ideal... its probably utopia right?

Super User I
Super User I

Try DaxStudio, you can make it monitoring your query performances (but not visual performances)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

PLEASE follow these instructions to ask your questions!

Proud to be a Super User!

Super User IV
Super User IV

@vanessafvg As @adetogni mentioned, DAXSTUDIO helps to identify slow performing DAX expression, and based on # of visuals with complex DAX can slow down the page loading etc but I dont think there is direct way to measure the performance of visual, it all comes down to DAX in my opinion

Proud to be a Datanaut! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Microsoft v-yulgu-msft
Microsoft

Hi @vanessafvg,

Additionally, for a deeper dive into which visuals are taking up the most time and resources, you can connect SQL Profiler to Power BI Desktop to get all full view of query performance. 

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Super User I
Super User I

@v-yulgu-msft @parry2k @adetogni

hi thanks everone for the response, i do use dax studio however im particular looking for  overall performance  response times in power bi as a whole not just specific items.  Visuals also play a part, not just the code at times.  

thanks for the input.

Microsoft v-yulgu-msft
Microsoft

Hi @vanessafvg,

Per my knowledge, it seems not available to analyse the response time of report execution in Power BI. Maybe you can process and visualize the Power BI trace logs to get some information about performance.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors