Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

Power BI Desktop Performance

is there a way of monitoring the performance of power bi in terms of response times in the desktop application?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

7 REPLIES 7
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @vanessafvg,

Additionally, for a deeper dive into which visuals are taking up the most time and resources, you can connect SQL Profiler to Power BI Desktop to get all full view of query performance. 

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yulgu-msft @parry2k @Anonymous

hi thanks everone for the response, i do use dax studio however im particular looking for  overall performance  response times in power bi as a whole not just specific items.  Visuals also play a part, not just the code at times.  

thanks for the input.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Hi @vanessafvg,

Per my knowledge, it seems not available to analyse the response time of report execution in Power BI. Maybe you can process and visualize the Power BI trace logs to get some information about performance.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@vanessafvg great question, whatyou are trying to achieve? Are you looking on performance etc?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

hi @parry2k mostly around response times, particularly with visuals.  Im finding that adding some of them (mostly custom) can create issues, and ArcGIS is horrible 😞   

but if there was some way of measuring performance across the whole picture from data to visuals that would be ideal... its probably utopia right?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try DaxStudio, you can make it monitoring your query performances (but not visual performances)

@vanessafvg As @Anonymous mentioned, DAXSTUDIO helps to identify slow performing DAX expression, and based on # of visuals with complex DAX can slow down the page loading etc but I dont think there is direct way to measure the performance of visual, it all comes down to DAX in my opinion

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.