cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
thilokg Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Desktop Odata data limit

I am trying to get data to PowerBI Desktop via an OData endpoint. We have eight OData endpoints with authentication and this works fine.

But when the returned data volume is high from OData endpoints, I get the following error.

pbi1_edited.pngpbi3.JPGpbi2_edited.png

Notice the size of data retrieved from OData endpoints. For TransactionFacts, it's around 150MB and for AccountFacts it's around 177MB. 

After some time, I get the error in Image 3.

I tried all the endpoints with Fiddler and all works fine (With Fildder, retrieved data size from AccountFacts was 185MB). These works with PowerBI too, if the data volume was a little less than this.

So my question is, is there a limitation of data volume which can be retrieved to PowerBI Desktop via OData endpoints? If so, what is the limit and what can I do to fix this problem.

Thank you.

Thilok

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Power BI Desktop Odata data limit

Hi thilokg,

How long is your string length? Server side may set limitation of your string length. Please refer to the similar case: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/increase-number-of-columns-that-can-be-imported-using-OData....

In addtion, you can refer to this blog for other limitations of Odata.Feed in power bi: https://whitepages.unlimitedviz.com/2014/12/limitations-for-power-query-odata-feeds-in-power-bi/.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

thilokg Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Power BI Desktop Odata data limit

I checked the string length and it seems its not the problem. As I said, it was little bit less data volume (lets say 170MB), then it works with the same set of columns.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 111 members 1,601 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: