Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

xboxter
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI Desktop Logs Out Mid-Session

I updated to the January update yesterday. Since the update when I log in to Power BI I use my name and password, and everything seems fine. But after I make some changes to my report and try to publish, it looks like I get logged out, a login screen appears that I cannot interact with, and a spinning icon telling me "Working on it..." appears. Power BI stays in this state until I force quit it from the task manager. (I've waited 30 minutes for it, so I don't think it's just working on something.) 

Any ideas? I've never seen anything like this. Thanks for reading. - Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @xboxter @KHorseman @electrobrit @Alex_SD @Greg_Deckler,

A new version of Power BI Desktop has been released, please download it from the following link, and the issue should be fixed in this version.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
nelsong20
Advocate II
Advocate II

This is looking good now. Hasn't happened again since installing the 2018 March update.

Thanks Microsoft!

Same here. 

March update continues to be trouble free for me! 

That was actually pretty quick turn around on that bug stomping. Well done. 

peytonmcbrayer
Advocate I
Advocate I

It's not even lunchtime, and this issue has crashed PBI Desktop 3 times already!   MICROSOFT PLEASE FIX THIS!  It's driving your users crazy.   I'm losing confidence in this application.  So many issues lately...

Peton, 

Did you install the March Update yet?

This issue is supposed to be fixed in the March update, which just came out. 

I have it installed and am testing it out. No crashes yet, but I am just winding up. 

Audrey

I JUST did that this morning after I posted and went to check.   I hope it's fixed.  It's been driving me crazy.  Looks like the fixed the missing "Working on it..."  dialog as well.  Also very annoying.

nelsong20
Advocate II
Advocate II

This same thing has been happening to me - also since early January. VERY frustrating.

For me, the Service seems to log me out once per day - I have only recently been able to notice that the problem seems to occur about the same time every day.

It happens as described by peytonmcbrayer when I hit the Publish button and ,after a delay, throws the SQLDumper window, then crashes PBI Desktop.

In other instances, I can be working on a PBIX that uses a live connection to a dataset already publsihed on the Service. If I try to refresh a page in a reort, seemingly out of the blue, it will just sit there with the little circles spinning endlessly and then I realise I've been kicked out.

(Almost forgot to add ... today I have upgraded to 2.55.5010.641 - the second Feb release .... and the problem persists)

Is anyone else still experiencing this?

It seems to me to be increasing in frequency. Seems to be happening more than once per day now.

Yeah i've been having this issue for a month now at least. Basically every new day if you publish a report it just logs out and crashes. At least it saves the document first so you don't loose progress but still very annoying.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @xboxter @KHorseman @electrobrit @Alex_SD @Greg_Deckler,

A new version of Power BI Desktop has been released, please download it from the following link, and the issue should be fixed in this version.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I updated to the latest update (Version: 2.55.5010.641 64-bit (February 2018)), and I am still having this issue.  When the issue happens for me, the app becomes unresponsive for 15 or so seconds when I hit "Publish" to deploy the model, then it prompts me to log in, then after logging in a command prompt window comes up running "SQLDumper.exe", then PBI Desktop crashes.

This is WICKED annoying, and is causing some real headaches for my team.  

I've downloaded and installed 2.54.4970.961

It still logs me off. 

And when it does, it triggers SQLDumper.exe and then crashes the whole program. 

Same here, even with the February update I installed yesterday.

Seems the issue is back as I am running a batch program refreshing PowerBI Desktop every hour and after a while, PowerBI does a log out and ask me to register if not yet!? 
Now, this prevents the refreshing to PowerBI Services based on my Professional account. Also I am running currently the December 2017 update.
Does anybody has an idea how to keep PowerBI desktop signed in even after several times closing the app and open again?

Thanks so much!

xboxter
Advocate I
Advocate I

After having this happen to me 12 times yesterday I've noticed another quirk to this problem. That is that after having to restart, I also have to login completely when I restart. Usually it had remembered my credentials from my previous usage, but this bug seems to be wiping it out my login information.

Also, I wanted to verify whether I was being logged out before I pressed publish, or if pressing publish was what logged me out. It is definately the pressing of the publish button that triggers this issue. But, not every time. I seem to be getting 2-4 publish presses before things break.

electrobrit
Post Patron
Post Patron

This is happening to me. I get "Working on it" and have to kill it. Be sure and save your work. What's happening and what's the fix?

For now the fix is just try to remember to sign in before you publish. More long term, I expect the next release will actually fix the bug. I guess it's possible they will do an early release with a fix but I'm not holding my breath.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

I've tried verifying that I'm signed in before publishing. The problem still occurs at the same rate.

Alex_SD
Frequent Visitor

Same issue for me too.

Have to make sure that I save my work first before trying to Publish, as it just hangs

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

There have been numerous posts on these forums of issues with the January update although this is the first one of these I have heard about. I just had my user group meeting on Tuesday and there were many members that complained about similar issues with the January update, although again, I did not hear this one specifically.

I'm chalking it up to the fact that the Power BI elves probably drank a bit too much egg nog over the holidays and fell off the end of the Balmer curve. Not sure though. 🙂

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.